Debian Beta Testing

Not officially, but I've been running it on 3.1 now for several months without any problems.

jmstacey said:
Not officially, but I've been running it on 3.1 now for several months without any problems.

nothing at all?
How much traffic are you transfering on this server?
Any other custom apps?
Does any apt-get upgrade broke anything?

Thanks a lot

Nope, I haven't hit any bugs with DirectAdmin on Debian since the last couple of releases. I'm keeping my eyes open though.

How much traffic are you transfering on this server?
Not much. There are a few customers on it however most of it is (will be) used for my own website.

No custom apps that I can think of at the moment besides python and some ARM cross compiler stuff. Nothing specifically related to and/or requires interaction with DirectAdmin or it's managed applications such as apache.

Once you get the hang of it apt-get is very efficient. At least I think so. You just need to keep an eye out for some stuff. Sometimes it tries, for example, updating exim to a non DA approved version etc. This can be over-ridden of course.

Last edited:
I have been working on a Debian package called "DA-Apt" that integrates DirectAdmin with APT. Not only will APT be aware of DirectAdmin and its programs, it will enable you to substitude DA's programs with APT packages. Or switch back to DA's version if you wish.

The bulk of the work is done. I'm writing the documentation and cleaning up the codes, as well as catching any last-minute bugs. Look for it next week in the 3rd Party Software Forum. It will be free.

Using DA-Apt, installing DirectAdmin from scratch that uses APT packages (for Apache, MySQL, ProFTPd, and etc) only takes 90 seconds, after downloading the APT packages.

Consider this a pre-announcement. :)

Yikes2000, this is a superb announcement :)

Just post a message here when it is ready please.

I haven't installed any DirectAdmin server yet as I was waiting full support for Debian.

Thanks a lot

saban said:
I've installed DA on Debian but got quote errors ?

You need to enable your quotas which will probably consist in recompile the kernel,etc. I would search on google or even these forums with the term "how to enable quotas for Debian" and you should find an easy step by step instructions.

jmstacey said:
Compiling a kernel on Debian is much easier than say FreeBSD, at least I think so...

Well how is done on Debian because i found it easy when i use to run FreeBSD? I am going to switch Debian once DirectAdmin offical calls there version for Debian stable.

ProHS,

Debian is running fine with DA.
I am using DA on a very busy web server (500 domains) with no problems at all for the last 3 months (since I bought it).

Yea well i know Debian is supose to be the best linux distro and i guess that is why i use Ubuntu for my personal os which is based off of Debian. I was wondering if the quotas are fairly easy to setup because i am think of switch my server to Debian?

ProHS said:
Yea well i know Debian is supose to be the best linux distro and i guess that is why i use Ubuntu for my personal os which is based off of Debian. I was wondering if the quotas are fairly easy to setup because i am think of switch my server to Debian?
yes,
you can install quotas via apt-get and just edit the /etc/fstab file.
If you have any problems contact me and i can help you.

Back