DirectAdmin v1.655 has been released

fln

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

We are happy to announce the release of DirectAdmin 1.655.

This release brings a new session management feature, maintenance task for cleaning up no longer used MySQL/MariaDB grants, a series of fixes and improvements.

Full release change log can be found here:

DirectAdmin 1.655

The update should be automatically available for all installations subscribed to the current release channel.

We appreciate all the feedback on forums and issues reported in the ticketing system.

Thanks!

Hi,
Nice update but you forgot to update nginx-templates:
---
old format is

server {
listen 90.91.45.3:443 ssl http2;

and the new format for nginx >= 1.25.1 is

server {
listen 90.91.45.3:443 ssl;
http2 on;

Hmm, Exim failed.... Lucky I don't use it
Code:
cc -o exim
/usr/bin/ld: rfc2047.o: in function `rfc2047_decode2':
rfc2047.c:(.text+0x3e6): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
/usr/bin/ld: rfc2047.c:(.text+0x4d1): undefined reference to `libiconv'
/usr/bin/ld: rfc2047.c:(.text+0x55f): undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile:634: exim] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/tmp/tmp.I0jb7fmKBT.exim-4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a.tar.gz/build-Linux-x86_64'
make: *** [Makefile:36: all] Error 2
doExim: failed to compile '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/cache/exim-4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a.tar.gz' inside '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/tmp/tmp.I0jb7fmKBT.exim-4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a.tar.gz'
failed to compile exim 4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a

Debian 10

@LawsHosting please open the support ticket for this. Our tests on clean Debian 10 systems compile exim without any issues. So I think it is related to something specific on your server. I would start by checking if you are using any CustomBuild customizations for exim.

@LawsHosting please open the support ticket for this. Our tests on clean Debian 10 systems compile exim without any issues. So I think it is related to something specific on your server. I would start by checking if you are using any CustomBuild customizations for exim.
I've seen the same on CentOS7
Code:
cc -o exim
rfc2047.o: In function `rfc2047_decode2':
rfc2047.c:(.text+0x49c): undefined reference to `libiconv_open'
rfc2047.c:(.text+0x540): undefined reference to `libiconv'
rfc2047.c:(.text+0x5ef): undefined reference to `libiconv_close'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/tmp/tmp.biDWV3leKc.exim-4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a.tar.gz/build-Linux-x86_64'
make[1]: *** [exim] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
doExim: failed to compile '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/cache/exim-4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a.tar.gz' inside '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/tmp/tmp.biDWV3leKc.exim-4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a.tar.gz'
failed to compile exim 4.96.2-12-g29d01ae2a

Exim compilation problem can be caused by a custom libiconv library installed in /usr/local. A quick check if you have custom libiconv is to see if file /usr/local/include/iconv.h exists.

Removing the custom libiconv library would solve the issue. Following commands would completely remove it from the system:

Minimal change to make sure exim compiles is just to remove the conflicting header files:

Code:
rm -f /usr/local/include/{libcharset.h,localcharset.h,iconv.h}

Edit: removing iconv completely could cause failure for a lot of services, because some old libraries might be linked against old libiconv, and new software might prefer old local libraries instead of system libraries! Please avoid removing libiconv manually, next DA version 1.656 has scripts to help clean-up old libraries in a safer way.

Last edited:
@fln
Just trying to restore a fresh server, I select admin backups, go to restore 'Sorry, it seems that there are no backups created yet. Would you like to create one?'

It's not letting me browse to the ftp location like normal? help!?!?

Removing the custom libiconv library would solve the issue.
ok that fixed the exim issue but raised new problems':

Latest version of DirectAdmin: 1.655 build 1d0a2c1ab6ff5911796378f4cbd2f95811d74a86
Installed version of DirectAdmin: 1.655 build 1d0a2c1ab6ff5911796378f4cbd2f95811d74a86

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.7.5 (default, Jun 20 2023, 11:36:40)
[GCC 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-44)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq
Now i cant build php either, puting back backup

Now i cant build php either, puting back backup
This would mean you had some software linked against the custom iconv library. I think the way forward would be to find out why the custom version of iconv was installed and which other software was reconfigured to depend on it.

some software linked against
that is including php then , because php build went wrong. rebuild recompile it from source right ?
And why is this update give this error, previous updates did not have this problem

I am now going to try to remove only /usr/local/include/{libcharset.h,localcharset.h,iconv.h}, keep you informed

And why is this update give this error, previous updates did not have this problem

Main change regarding exim compared to previous DA versions comes from the change in exim Makefile, where we enable iconv support. Enabling iconv support allows exim to decode non ASCII content into UTF8 and to reliably use ${rfc2047} and ${rfc2047d} operators.

This change revealed the compilation problems for systems where custom iconv version is installed. Custom iconv library is not something we recommend using, it might cause further problems for any piece of software that is expected to be linked against it. Existence of custom iconv library is considered local customization done manually by the administrator. None of the software managed by CustomBuild requires it.

It is possible to continue using locally installed custom iconv version, but then exim Makefile needs to be adjusted to either disable iconv support or extend compile options to tell it to link against external iconv instead the one that comes with glibc. We if we updated the main global exim conf Makefile for everyone to start linking against external iconv the problem would be reversed and anyone not having custom iconv library would fail to compile exim. Other software components that use autoconf system can dynamically detect if external or built-in iconv should be used. However exim does not use autoconf and requires a static Makefile to be compiled.

Existence of custom iconv library is considered local customization done manually by the administrator. None of the software managed by CustomBuild requires it.
It was part of CustomBuild at some point in history. ./build libiconv or ./build iconv. I remember I had it on my systems installed trough CustomBuild (not sure if I installed it or CustomBuild automatically)

In rev. 2625 it was removed: https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/changelog.60248/

See all the revisions mentioning iconv. A lot of problems existed with it with the release of PHP 8.0. I think with that change there was no cleanup of the compiled libiconv?

See also by @smtalk

Post in thread 'php 8 fails installation'
https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/php-8-fails-installation.62840/post-325344

The new user profile page is looking nice (y)

Last edited:
See all the revisions mentioning iconv. A lot of problems existed with it with PHP 8. I think with that change there was no cleanup of the compiled libiconv?
That could be the reason, like I said , this was an stock DA centos 7 box without fancy programs.
I think like @Erulezz that this is an left over from previous builds, @fln how can we clean up the mess that ./build libiconv or ./build iconv left?

@fln
Just trying to restore a fresh server, I select admin backups, go to restore 'Sorry, it seems that there are no backups created yet. Would you like to create one?'

It's not letting me browse to the ftp location like normal? help!?!?

I just updated a server here, and I'm having the same problem. I can't access the restore page to restore an FTP backup for example.

Reactions: fln
I just updated a server here, and I'm having the same problem. I can't access the restore page to restore an FTP backup for example.
Drop back to the previous version in the license setting to get the restore done ? that’s what I did.

In addition to the problem with the Backup restore, I also noticed that the File Manager has stopped following the theme color of Evolution. That is, if Evolution is red, the File Manager follows the default blue color.

Another problem is also with the upload of files to the File Manager (drag and drop). Depending on the screen resolution, when dragging the file to the directory, nothing happens (and if we drop the file, an upload appears, but it does not stay in the directory). We need to right-click and go directly to the "Uploads Files" option.

img1.png

However, if we increase the screen size a bit and the File Manager layout changes, when we drag the file the upload box is displayed normally.

img2.png

When browsing on mobile the main/menu is not closing automatically when browsing into any other page.

Need to refresh or close the menu with the X button

Same issue i had reported in 1.654

Back