DirectSlave/GO 3 - public beta

@roman_m, do you intent to open source the latest version? since on the original forum post it's mentioned that directslave is an open source project

Nice one may i suggest to adapt it to a plugin for da ?
Also, Is the Go new ?
its a bit confusing especially since the post is from 2018.

The documentation is a bit off. Since its referring to directory's witch since have been changed moved.
If you setup wiki or something i am happy to update the manual for centos 7.

The Above is no criticism what so ever mere suggestions. Taken from my experience sofar.

My problem is nslookup on the master (DA) server gets server can't find xxxx.nl REFUSED.
logs are full with:
2019:11:28-19:24:23: Cluster: Error writing remote dns zone at host x.x.x.x for domain (xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.nl): (null) (retry=0)
2019:11:28-19:24:23: Cluster socket:

I am pretty sure its my fault with my named on DA but it has been reset to defaults still can't get it to work.
So my inexperience with dns/bind services is necking me. Any pointers or link to guide that i can use as a prerequisite to install this ?
Or if any one can link/show me their master and slave and directslave .conf files wil be helpfull as a guideline.

Hi. Does it support DNSSEC?

@spacecabbie check on your master your firewall to allow AXFR and your named.conf for allow-transfer from your secondaries. So, if your secondary IP is e.g. 172.15.15.15, then on your master should allow connections from 172.15.15.15 and your allow-transfer and allow-query should include this IP address. Also, on your secondary, you should allow access from your master.

Nice one may i suggest to adapt it to a plugin for da ?
Also, Is the Go new ?
its a bit confusing especially since the post is from 2018.

The documentation is a bit off. Since its referring to directory's witch since have been changed moved.
If you setup wiki or something i am happy to update the manual for centos 7.

The Above is no criticism what so ever mere suggestions. Taken from my experience sofar.

My problem is nslookup on the master (DA) server gets server can't find xxxx.nl REFUSED.
logs are full with:
2019:11:28-19:24:23: Cluster: Error writing remote dns zone at host x.x.x.x for domain (xxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.nl): (null) (retry=0)
2019:11:28-19:24:23: Cluster socket:

I am pretty sure its my fault with my named on DA but it has been reset to defaults still can't get it to work.
So my inexperience with dns/bind services is necking me. Any pointers or link to guide that i can use as a prerequisite to install this ?
Or if any one can link/show me their master and slave and directslave .conf files wil be helpfull as a guideline.
Did you try my install script?

Atm gave up since DNS is a whole other ball game and i need this to run perfect. So hired Poralix to do it for me. thanks for the suggestions.

PS @bdacus01 I don't think so but at this stage i couldn't give you any usable feedback even if i did since i messed to much with it.

I need some advise, i don't know what is wrong with my directslave.

I successfully installed directslave. No error when running directslave --check.
Directadmin can connect to directslave.
Bind is running with no error
My directslave can receive NEW dns (create from directadmin) and directslave can DELETE dns (delete from directadmin)

My problem is:
My directslave can not update dns if there dns change on directadmin.

What is going on with my directslave? and how to fix it?

[root@ns2 bin]# ./directslave --check
DirectSlave GO/3.3 Advanced (c) Roman Mazur <[email protected]> 2012-2019

Here we do some test to check if your config ...
/usr/local/directslave/etc/directslave.conf is good.

Reading /usr/local/directslave/etc/directslave.conf ... OK

Trying to drop privileges to 25 25 ... OK

Running tests as UID:25, GID:25

Opening/creating file 'access_log' -> /usr/local/directslave/log/access.log ... OK

Opening/creating file 'error_log' -> /usr/local/directslave/log/error.log ... OK

Opening/creating file 'action_log' -> /usr/local/directslave/log/action.log ... OK

Opening/creating file 'named_conf' -> /var/named/directslave.inc ... OK

Opening/creating file 'pid' -> /usr/local/directslave/run/directslave.pid ... OK

Testing named_workdir acesssibility /var/named/secondary ... OK

Testing RNDC util accessibility at path /usr/sbin/rndc ... OK

*** All OK! You can safely run with --run flag.

Hi,

I have done a fresh installation on DirectAdmin + CloudLinux.
I have installed DirectSlave on CentOS7

Did the installation using https://github.com/afrizalnet/directslave-install

DirectSlave started without any issues.
I added some demo DNS entries on the DirectAdmin Box.
But the DNS entries is not replicating on the DirectSlave Box.

I modified DirectAdmin's /etc/named.conf file and added for the slave server

Code:
    allow-transfer { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
    allow-notify { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
    notify yes;

I see that in the named.conf file on DirectSlave it does have the master servers IP listed there.

I thought it was a firewall issue so I did some dig tests from the DirectAdmin Server to the DirectSlave server and that went trough fine.
I saw the failed dig entries in /var/log/messages (The domain does not exist on the DirectSlave server)

Any suggestion why the DNS is not replicating?

The script you used it 5 years old.. you might try mine here

I need some advise, i don't know what is wrong with my directslave.

I successfully installed directslave. No error when running directslave --check.
Directadmin can connect to directslave.
Bind is running with no error
My directslave can receive NEW dns (create from directadmin) and directslave can DELETE dns (delete from directadmin)

My problem is:
My directslave can not update dns if there dns change on directadmin.

What is going on with my directslave? and how to fix it?
I have the same issue any advise?

Hi,

I have done a fresh installation on DirectAdmin + CloudLinux.
I have installed DirectSlave on CentOS7

Did the installation using https://github.com/afrizalnet/directslave-install

DirectSlave started without any issues.
I added some demo DNS entries on the DirectAdmin Box.
But the DNS entries is not replicating on the DirectSlave Box.

I modified DirectAdmin's /etc/named.conf file and added for the slave server

Code:
    allow-transfer { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
    allow-notify { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
    notify yes;

I see that in the named.conf file on DirectSlave it does have the master servers IP listed there.

I thought it was a firewall issue so I did some dig tests from the DirectAdmin Server to the DirectSlave server and that went trough fine.
I saw the failed dig entries in /var/log/messages (The domain does not exist on the DirectSlave server)

Any suggestion why the DNS is not replicating?
Do you have the multi server setup?

Hi All, is there a way to avoid daisy chain dns with direct slave.

Server1(asmaster) > Server2(asslave)
Server2(asmaster) > Server3(asslave)

Server3 is also getting all the zone files of Server1, any way to stop this happening?

In addition to above I'd like
Server3(asmaster) > Server2(asslave)

Separate question, I have a couple of directslave pairs working now so zones are transferring, but on none of the slaves does anything show via the gui e.g. :

1587900094478.png

I was thinking maybe this is where I need to the daisy chain server to not collect certain domains?

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
DNS loves to share ;)

First Masters (Primaries) are Masters in general. The Secondaries (slaves) work for the masters. A Secondary is generally best at listening and following orders from the Primary.

Now, do you have this below?

Server1(asmaster) Server2(asslave). is this really the same as the Server 2 below? Seem like you meant Server3 or 4 here.
^
Multi server setup between 1 and 2? if this Server2 is the same as above you don't need directslave on the same server as with DirectAdmin is a DNS server.
V
Server2(asmaster) < multiserver setup here > Server3(asslave)

How many servers do you have 3 or 4?
Also in general what is the goal? Is server1 and 2 hosting servers in the same domain as in "iamahost.com"

Let's start there.

Server1(asmaster) Server2(asslave). is this really the same as the Server 2 below?
Yes it is really the same.

3 servers, i want #1 to be master only and send zones to #2. I want #2 to be slave to #1 and master of its own domains and to send just those zones to #3 who is slave to #2 and master of its own domains.

Does this help explain? Servers 1 and 3 should have nothing to do with each other.

Which servers have DirectAdmin installed on them? Which server have Directslave?

This is how it works from the DA side. https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=97
Maybe this will help. You might read through this for general background. https://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch4/#master

In general, slaves are slaves, and masters are masters. Each Master needs its own slave.

All 3 have da, #2 and #3 have directslave.

I wouldn't have thought the scenario I'm looking to achieve is that niche.

I have a server that serves as dns slave to my clients servers. I would like to have one of those servers (which isn't a dedicated server for a single client) to also be a slave for dns of my own server. If its not possible i will just leave as is, just find it odd that you can't easily somehow restrict which domains a directslave collects zone files for.

Back