FreeBSD 12.1 Setup Testing

As noted there is no working version of Mysql at this time. Mysql 8.0 will install but won't survive a ./build all so that makes it unusable at his time.

That's why I migrated to MariaDB back in the time when 5.6 was the recent MySQL version. I was having issues compiling MySQL with every update. MariaDB builds on FreeBSD with DA much more fluent.

Thanks for the info about MariaDB 10.5. I will see what's wrong on my end soon.

In general FreeBSD is a very well coded, memory efficient, versatile, complete, better organized structure and well documented operating system.
It’s completely free. Is maintained by their own community and foundation. It’s a used by some of the largest companies in the world. However beholden to none of them.
As they say It’s not Linux... however if the regular guy can learn it so can you.

@bdacus01

So what did you do to resolve this problem?

I have experience with CentOS/Debian but absolutely no experience with FreeBSD

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mariadb-10.4.17/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mariadb-10.4.17/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
Done. Making mariadb-10.4.17...
Trying to make mariadb-10.4.17...
make: no target to make.

make: stopped in /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mariadb-10.4.17
Could not find /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/directadmin_cron or it is empty

The first setup.sh failed due to mysql, so I changed in options.conf to mariadb and reran setup.sh

You have to do the part in this post

Here is a great FreeBSD primer

Last edited:
Oh shoot, I missed seeing that. Sorry about that bud. Thanks for your help!

Update: I've found the needed patches to get 5.7.31 compiled on FreeBSD 12.
So using the mysql_force_compile=yes should now build a proper set of mysql 5.7.31 binaries for FreeBSD 12.
In addition, since I was able to create a set of binaries in a tar.gz, I've also added it to files1, and synced it to all of our mirrors, so for MySQL 5.7.31 with the default mysql_force_compile=no MySQL 5.7 install, this should work now.
Let me know if you have issues with this, or if there are still any installer issues we need to address.

Thanks for your help! :)
John

Update: I've found the needed patches to get 5.7.31 compiled on FreeBSD 12.
So using the mysql_force_compile=yes should now build a proper set of mysql 5.7.31 binaries for FreeBSD 12.
In addition, since I was able to create a set of binaries in a tar.gz, I've also added it to files1, and synced it to all of our mirrors, so for MySQL 5.7.31 with the default mysql_force_compile=no MySQL 5.7 install, this should work now.
Let me know if you have issues with this, or if there are still any installer issues we need to address.

Thanks for your help! :)
John
I will test a stock install tomorrow and report my findings.

Standard setup.sh testing today. Just mysql 5.7 we will see how goes.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'tar' have been found in the repositories
Its still in the documentation here https://docs.directadmin.com/gettin...ning-the-installation-with-predefined-options
please remove "tar" from FreeBSD 11 and 12

pkg_info is not the correct command its "pkg info" no underscore.
beginning pre-checks, please wait...
./setup.sh: pkg_info: not found
pkg only uses -y or --yes not "--y"
Done Libtool
pkg: illegal option -- y
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
This breaks the flow and mean I have to manually input a "y"

In the mysql 5.7 section.
It installed the Binaries first shot. Good job. As it starts it gives.
2020-12-21T16:35:30.455569Z 1 [Warning] root@localhost is created with an empty password ! Please consider switching off the --initialize-insecure option.
The setup keeps going.... yes.
Now errors with PHP 7.4

checking whether to build with LIBXML support... yes
checking for libxml-2.0 >= 2.7.6... no
configure: error: in `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-7.4.13':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old. Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBXML_CFLAGS
and LIBXML_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details

*** There was an error while trying to configure php. Check the configure file
setup.sh exits

Ok let's just try again
This time the Mysql 5.7 opts to compile. Not sure why I force compile no
It succeeds

more php 7.4 errors
checking for icu-uc >= 50.1 icu-io icu-i18n... no
configure: error: Package requirements (icu-uc >= 50.1 icu-io icu-i18n) were not met:

Package 'icu-uc', required by 'virtual:world', not found
Package 'icu-io', required by 'virtual:world', not found
Package 'icu-i18n', required by 'virtual:world', not found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables ICU_CFLAGS
and ICU_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I install icu with pkg.
then restart setup.sh

Ok with ICU installed from Pkg the setup finishes. I am no going to run a ./build all and we will see how that goes.

CustonBuild reports these need to be updated not sure why. Maybe they were not installed during setup?
Libpng Nghttp2 Libjpeg

Build All was successful
except it did not install the 3 above
had to do build update_versions for Libpng Nghttp2 Libjpeg

Ok going to Blank out the box again adding ICU and pcre to preinstall. Should fly right through.

Last edited:
Well
Still get
checking for libxml-2.0 >= 2.7.6... no
configure: error: in `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/php-7.4.13':
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old. Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBXML_CFLAGS
and LIBXML_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details

When I rerun setup.sh
it finds them and installs them which is strange.

2020-12-21 14:32:33 (3.92 MB/s) - 'custombuild.tar.gz' saved [261071/261071]

./custombuild.tar.gz 254 kB 4548 kBps 01s
Extracting custombuild.tar.gz...
Downloading libxml2-2.9.10.tar.gz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxml2-2.9 5492 kB 10 MBps 00s
Downloading libxslt-1.1.34.tar.gz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxslt-1.1 3469 kB 9027 kBps 00s
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/autoconf-2.69.tar.gz
Extracting ...
Done.

pkg shows libxml2 already installed maybe a conflict?
We will see how the rerun goes.

The rerun finished no issue.

Still reports these out of date
CustonBuild reports these need to be updated not sure why. Maybe they were not installed during setup?
Libpng Nghttp2 Libjpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
  1. 'pkg_info' swapped to 'pkg info'
  2. I believe "pkg: illegal option -- y" refers to a "-y" option somewhere, but I couldn't track it down. The " -- " field is just an output separator for the error. Not sure where that's coming from though.. so it's probably 'pkg <something> -y' where somthing might not support it, but again, not sure there. Which package was it referring to?
  3. The MySQL 5.7 install, we have our own password initializers for root and da_admin, so although it is created without one, it's immediately set with one by the installer. Should be ok to ignore. (Could confirm "SELECT * FROM mysql.user" to confirm none of the rows have blank passwords, but I don't think there would be any)
  4. For the pkg-config, I found a report here, so I've added pkgconfig to the pre-install list (help.da, and setup.sh)
  5. For the force compile, if the options.conf was left there from the last attempt, that might why it's still set to yes? Try deleting the options.conf prior to setup.sh run to confirm it defaults to "no". Not 100% sure on this one, so let us know if it's still having issues.
  6. ICU: do you have anything in here? /usr/local/icu, if not, what does "./build icu" give you? Solves the php issue? As build "should" be trying to install it. Last resort, I can add it to the pre-install list.
  7. nghttp2, I believe this is normal to not be part of "./build all" for optimization reasons. Martynas may have more info on this. He mentioned pcre/pcre2 as well.
  8. libxml issue is likely related to the pkg install pkgconf fix.
So I think it might be good for another attempt.

Not sure where that's coming from though..
I try to get more context for you.
For the pkg-config, I found a report here, so I've added pkgconfig to the pre-install list (help.da, and setup.sh)
Ok i give this a go to.
that might why it's still set to yes?
no it always been no.
Try deleting the options.conf
will do. we will find it..
do you have anything in here? /usr/local/icu,

ls /usr/local/icu
ls: /usr/local/icu: No such file or directory
if not, what does "./build icu" give you?
I will run that instead of installing from pkg.
nghttp2, I believe this is normal to not be part of "./build all"
I did not know that.. and i thought all was all.. LOL

off to try again.

I have noticed a problem, not sure if this is related to it being on freebsd because my CentOS 7 with DirectAdmin works perfectly.

My domain we will call it: domain.com. I have registered nameservers through my registrar.

ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com pointing to two IPs on my server, which are also set up through my reseller panel as ns1, and ns2 respectively with the same ips that my registrar has set.

server.domain.com is my hostname and it resolves and shows the "Apache is functioning normally", as do the ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com when you go to them.

Domain.com shows the "Something amazing will be constructed here..." page.

I set up a subdomain of the primary domain from the admin account as a secondary account, sub.domain.com, yet for almost two days it has not resolved. The ping and etc of the domain shows it resolves but for some reason my subdomain is not resolving. I even checked via the anonymouse website and opendns cache checks.

Attached are pictures.

ns2.domain.pngsub.domain.pngns1.domain.pngdomain.pngserver.domain.png

Tar gone yippee
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

the -- y thing is right after libtool
Installing libtool-2.4.6...
make install-recursive
Making install in .
build-aux/install-sh -c -d '/usr/local/bin'
/usr/bin/install -c libtool '/usr/local/bin'
build-aux/install-sh -c -d '/usr/local/lib'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c libltdl/libltdl.la '/usr/local/lib'
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c libltdl/.libs/libltdl.so.7.3.1 /usr/local/lib/libltdl.so.7.3.1
libtool: install: (cd /usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f libltdl.so.7.3.1 libltdl.so.7 || { rm -f libltdl.so.7 && ln -s libltdl.so.7.3.1 libltdl.so.7; }; })
libtool: install: (cd /usr/local/lib && { ln -s -f libltdl.so.7.3.1 libltdl.so || { rm -f libltdl.so && ln -s libltdl.so.7.3.1 libltdl.so; }; })
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c libltdl/.libs/libltdl.lai /usr/local/lib/libltdl.la
libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c libltdl/.libs/libltdl.a /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a
libtool: install: chmod 644 /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a
libtool: install: ranlib /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a
GREP='/usr/bin/grep' SED='/usr/bin/sed' './build-aux/inline-source' libtoolize > '/usr/local/bin/libtoolize'
rm -rf '/usr/local/share/libtool'/*
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/libtool.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/ltargz.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/ltargz.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/ltdl.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/ltdl.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/ltoptions.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/ltsugar.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/ltsugar.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/ltversion.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/ltversion.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './m4/lt~obsolete.m4' '/usr/local/share/aclocal/lt~obsolete.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c './build-aux/compile' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/compile'
/usr/bin/install -c './build-aux/config.guess' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/config.guess'
/usr/bin/install -c './build-aux/config.sub' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/config.sub'
/usr/bin/install -c './build-aux/depcomp' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/depcomp'
/usr/bin/install -c './build-aux/install-sh' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/install-sh'
/usr/bin/install -c './build-aux/missing' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/missing'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './build-aux/ltmain.sh' '/usr/local/share/libtool/build-aux/ltmain.sh'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/COPYING.LIB' '/usr/local/share/libtool/COPYING.LIB'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/Makefile.am' '/usr/local/share/libtool/Makefile.am'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/README' '/usr/local/share/libtool/README'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/configure.ac' '/usr/local/share/libtool/configure.ac'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/aclocal.m4' '/usr/local/share/libtool/aclocal.m4'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/Makefile.in' '/usr/local/share/libtool/Makefile.in'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/config-h.in' '/usr/local/share/libtool/config-h.in'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/configure' '/usr/local/share/libtool/configure'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt__alloc.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt__alloc.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt__argz_.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt__argz_.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt__dirent.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt__dirent.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt__glibc.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt__glibc.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt__private.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt__private.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt__strl.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt__strl.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt_error.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt_error.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/lt_system.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/lt_system.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/libltdl/slist.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/libltdl/slist.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/dld_link.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/dld_link.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/dlopen.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/dlopen.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/dyld.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/dyld.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/load_add_on.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/load_add_on.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/loadlibrary.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/loadlibrary.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/preopen.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/preopen.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/loaders/shl_load.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/loaders/shl_load.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/lt__alloc.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/lt__alloc.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/lt__argz.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/lt__argz.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/lt__dirent.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/lt__dirent.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/lt__strl.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/lt__strl.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/lt_dlloader.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/lt_dlloader.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/lt_error.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/lt_error.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/ltdl.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/ltdl.c'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/ltdl.h' '/usr/local/share/libtool/ltdl.h'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/ltdl.mk' '/usr/local/share/libtool/ltdl.mk'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 './libltdl/slist.c' '/usr/local/share/libtool/slist.c'
chmod a+x '/usr/local/share/libtool/configure'
build-aux/install-sh -c -d '/usr/local/include'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 libltdl/ltdl.h '/usr/local/include'
build-aux/install-sh -c -d '/usr/local/share/info'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/libtool.info ./doc/libtool.info-1 ./doc/libtool.info-2 '/usr/local/share/info'
build-aux/install-sh -c -d '/usr/local/include/libltdl'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 libltdl/libltdl/lt_system.h libltdl/libltdl/lt_error.h libltdl/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h '/usr/local/include/libltdl'
build-aux/install-sh -c -d '/usr/local/share/man/man1'
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ./doc/libtool.1 ./doc/libtoolize.1 '/usr/local/share/man/man1'
Done Libtool
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
pcre: 8.44

Number of packages to be installed: 1

The process will require 7 MiB more space.
1 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

and right before pcre2. maybe it can't find, build, install regular "pcre"?
Done Libtool
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
pcre: 8.44

Number of packages to be installed: 1

The process will require 7 MiB more space.
1 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
[1/1] Fetching pcre-8.44.txz: 100% 1 MiB 1.3MB/s 00:01
[1/1] Installing pcre-8.44...
[1/1] Extracting pcre-8.44: 100%
Downloading pcre2-10.35.tar.gz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/pcre2-10.35 2536 kB 7520 kBps 00s
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/pcre2-10.35.tar.gz
Extracting ...
Done.
Configuring pcre2-10.35...
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... nawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... clang
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o

The ICU thing is in PHP

Starts Here
Configuring php-7.4.13...
Patching php-fpm to not fail on startup if User quota maxed out on socket chown
Hmm... Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_unix.c.orig 2019-12-05 17:02:37.818844398 -0700
|+++ sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_unix.c 2019-12-05 17:20:39.578769107 -0700
--------------------------
Patching file sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_unix.c using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 242 (offset 7 lines).
done
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.1
Ends
checking if your cpp allows macro usage in include lines... yes
checking for IMAP support... no
checking for IMAP Kerberos support... yes
checking for IMAP SSL support... no
checking whether to enable internationalization support... yes
checking for icu-uc >= 50.1 icu-io icu-i18n... no
configure: error: Package requirements (icu-uc >= 50.1 icu-io icu-i18n) were not met:

Package 'icu-uc', required by 'virtual:world', not found
Package 'icu-io', required by 'virtual:world', not found
Package 'icu-i18n', required by 'virtual:world', not found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables ICU_CFLAGS
and ICU_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

where is ICU
ls /usr/local/icu
ls: /usr/local/icu: No such file or directory
Is not installed on the server.

If I do build ICU it builds. So it is not getting built before PHP which needs it. So either something is not pulling it in or something?
./build icu
Downloading icu4c-66_1-src.tgz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/icu4c-66_1- 23 MB 19 MBps 01s
Found /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/icu4c-66_1-src.tgz
Extracting ...
Done.
Configuring icu-66_1...
checking for ICU version numbers... release 66.1, library 66.1, unicode version 13.0
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.1
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.1

after ./build icu
ls /usr/local/icu
bin include lib sbin share

re run setup.sh
I found it does downloads pcre
./custombuild.tar.gz 254 kB 4438 kBps 00s
Extracting custombuild.tar.gz...
Downloading pcre-8.44.tar.gz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/pcre-8.44.t 2041 kB 7691 kBps 00s
Downloading libxml2-2.9.10.tar.gz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxml2-2.9 5492 kB 11 MBps 01s
Downloading libxslt-1.1.34.tar.gz...
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/libxslt-1.1 3469 kB 9680 kBps 00s

Ok after installing or ./building icu setup completes

So the issues are pcre and icu.

I found it. @smtalk @DirectAdmin Support

SYNOPSIS
pkg [-v] [-d] [-l] [-N]
[-j <jail name or id> | -c <chroot path> | -r <root directory>]
[-C <configuration file>] [-R <repository configuration directory>]
[-4 | -6] <command> <flags>

pkg command flags item

In CB > build
got to
if [ ! -e /usr/bin/pcre-config ] && [ ! -e /usr/local/bin/pcre-config ]; then
if [ ! -e /usr/include/pcre.h ] && [ ! -e /usr/local/include/pcre.h ]; then
if [ -e /etc/debian_version ]; then
apt-get -y install libpcre3-dev
elif [ ${OS} != "FreeBSD" ]; then
yum -y install pcre-devel
else
pkg -y install pcre
fi
fi
fi

if you run
pkg -y install pcre

Syntax is

Code:
pkg install -y pcre

pkg install -y pcre
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

In build you have 7 more please find and replace all pkg -y
with pkg (command) -y

So
pkg install -y (item)
pkg update (needs no y)
pkg upgrade -y

Back