How to enable resource limit?

Magistar

Verified User
In my original webhost at the user level my package was CPU (and memory) limited and in my user level direct admin package I was able to see how my site did like this:

Screenshot-from-2012-09-20-163715.png

Now I have a VPS with Admin level and I would like to enable this system. So far I have not found the option. The resource usage is not displaying at the userlevel so it seems to be disabled.

Where can I find/configure these settings?

regards

Hello,

If you want to limit CPU/RAM per user/domain then you should use CloudLinux.
If you want only to display usage of CPU/RAM per user/domain then feel free to use 3rd part plugin or wite your own.

Hello,

If you want to limit CPU/RAM per user/domain then you should use CloudLinux.
If you want only to display usage of CPU/RAM per user/domain then feel free to use 3rd part plugin or wite your own.
Hmm installing a custom OS instead of the CentOS with DA included is not something I am looking forward too.

Are you sure the resource stuff ins't integrated into DA by default? I have seen it on a few different hosts.

Yes, I'm. You should differentiate resource limiting and resource usage counting.

Let's say I've got a plugin of a 3rd party noname company. And you as admin will be able to set "limits" and users will see their CPU/RAM usage in graphs and figures, and while Debian and CentOS has no tools to limit CPU/RAM per user/domain level, all what you get it will graphs and figures of usage, and a user will be still able to overcome the limit. That's it. You need to limit resources on kernel level.

Ok thanks for the additional explanation!

In your experience what would be the easiest way to monitor if one user is excessively loading the server? (Preferable free, I do not have that many customers).

That depends on your needs: whether or not you want to give your users a tool to see their usage.

If you don't plan to give them graphs and figures then use: CSF/LFD which checks RAM usage, time of a running process, number of processes:

# User Process Tracking. This option enables the tracking of the number of# process any given account is running at one time. If the number of processes
# exceeds the value of the following setting an email alert is sent with
# details of those processes. If you specify a user in csf.pignore it will be
# ignored
#
# Set to 0 to disable this feature
PT_USERPROC = "10"

# This User Process Tracking option sends an alert if any linux user process
# exceeds the memory usage set (MB). To ignore specific processes or users use
# csf.pignore
#
PT_USERMEM = "0"

# This User Process Tracking option sends an alert if any linux user process
# exceeds the time usage set (seconds). To ignore specific processes or users
# use csf.pignore
#
PT_USERTIME = "1800"

If you need graphs then search the forums and internet, there are some ready made plugins for that. I'm not going to post here any links for 3rd party plugins made by others for two reasons: I don't use them, and I do offer writing plugins by myself. If you need a custom plugin, I could write one for you.

Hello,

Do you know any 3rd party software for display usage of CPU/RAM per user/domain?

Thanks,
Melih

Hello,

Do you know any 3rd party software for display usage of CPU/RAM per user/domain?

Thanks,
Melih

Hello Melih.

The CloudLinux system enabled the CloudLinux LVE Manager which can monitor CPU and PMEM per user/domain. You can also limit that per package or user. It is a third party paid license that has an easy conversion script for CentOS 7.

I use it on four of my current servers.

Hello,

I know cloudlinux. We wonder that can we see which user uses how much cpu/RAM in a day. There is a section like this in cpanel.

I hope i can explain my request.

Thanks,
Melih

Back