Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

Hello,
I have called to support team and got a strange answer:

"We do not have a solution because we stopped supporting Debian 6 a long time ago. If you wish to continue the discussion, please visit: https://forum.directadmin.com/threa...tibility-with-our-new-licensing-system.65330/"

I need the license key only.
I don't need the support for my os.
Why support team forward me to the forum and don't answer anymore?

As you can read in the OP of this thread, there has been a new licensing system in place for a while now, for which it is required that your server checks in with the licensing server periodically. In order to be compatible with the new licensing system, there's a minimum Directadmin version you need to run. In order to be able to upgrade Directadmin, you need to run a supported OS, in the case of Debian this would be Debian 10 or 11. So in order for your license to continue working, you'll need to upgrade your OS to Debian 10 or 11 and update Directadmin to a current version.

Guys,
I have a customer that not planned any updates on the server because it need additional expenses for IT and site upgrades. We don't need any support of os or directadmin. What we need, only to continue to work. As is. Please provide only the license key or disable this check.

That will not be possible as this license type (based on your server IP) simply does not exist anymore.

If you insist on wanting to use both Directadmin and very old and outdated site code, you could migrate to Cloudlinux which provides Directadmin with secure PHP versions all the way down to PHP 4.

Thank you for your help wtptrs and Richard G.
But I really do not understand.
Are you from directadmin team?

If yes:
Why without support for my problem we have a conversation in the open forum?

If no:
Do you know how much money need for this upgrade process? This is not one server and not one site.
Instead, provide 2 files: a license file and a 15-sec fix file that remove checks for the availability of the license in the outdated version. We waste our life.
And believe me, next time, you will be in my place. With excellent description, why you must spend your money and time.
The problem is real support. When the customer interest is in the first place and not something else.
Take attention. Where are you and what you buy.

Hi @Und, this is an open discussion board where Directadmin customers help eachother. I don't work for Directadmin, I am just a customer like you.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your opinion, I'm just saying that, no matter how much time you will spend asking for this type of license, it will not be provided to you (more context is provided throughout this thread), so best to focus your energy on how to proceed from here.

Do you know how much money need for this upgrade process? This is not one server and not one site.
@wtptrs already answered the question of who we are. As for the rest, you can also ask yourself as to why keep working with ancient stuff for so long, now causing this issue for you, which indeed will cost time/money. At a certain point, that will start working against you whatever is used.

You can go back in pages in this thread/discussion (or another thread, I'm not sure anymore), where an argument was used for the DA license.
It was argumented that DA lifetime license should work no matter how old it is, no matter how old the license is, just like you can still use your Windows 95 license, without support.

But for the DA license it does not work that way. The lifetime license will continue to work as long as the OS is alive and supported. It's for as long as DA itself lives not the OS. That is the big difference here which might also have confused you like it confused others.

Explanation:
Some Other lifetime licenses: You have a lifetime license, you can keep using your version but will not have support or updates after the application used (or that version) is declared end of life, like Windows.

DA lifetime license: You have a lifetime license for DA itself. You can keep using Direct admin until DA itself is declared end of life (if ever) and are entitled to updates and new DA versions as long as DA is not end of life.

Also DA staff explained that this is what DA lifetime license means. It's not OS related it's DA related.

However, this discussion already took place earlier in this or another thread and we're passed that. Like @wtptrs already said, best is to focus on how to proceed.
I only explained this again so you don't have to search back in all the posts.

@wtptrs already answered the question of who we are. As for the rest, you can also ask yourself as to why keep working with ancient stuff for so long, now causing this issue for you, which indeed will cost time/money. At a certain point, that will start working against you whatever is used.

You can go back in pages in this thread/discussion (or another thread, I'm not sure anymore), where an argument was used for the DA license.
It was argumented that DA lifetime license should work no matter how old it is, no matter how old the license is, just like you can still use your Windows 95 license, without support.

But for the DA license it does not work that way. The lifetime license will continue to work as long as the OS is alive and supported. It's for as long as DA itself lives not the OS. That is the big difference here which might also have confused you like it confused others.

Explanation:
Some Other lifetime licenses: You have a lifetime license, you can keep using your version but will not have support or updates after the application used (or that version) is declared end of life, like Windows.

DA lifetime license: You have a lifetime license for DA itself. You can keep using Direct admin until DA itself is declared end of life (if ever) and are entitled to updates and new DA versions as long as DA is not end of life.

Also DA staff explained that this is what DA lifetime license means. It's not OS related it's DA related.

However, this discussion already took place earlier in this or another thread and we're passed that. Like @wtptrs already said, best is to focus on how to proceed.
I only explained this again so you don't have to search back in all the posts.

Sorry, but now I have to reply on this... For example take Plesk. We have a few customers who are still running on CentOS 4.5 (no joke) with Plesk 8.6.0 (PHP 5.2 and MySQL 5.0). Ofcourse this is a security issue, however these customers refuse to migrate, because of a) costs or b) outdated software. We do not mind, because customer is king obviously. If the customer wants to run old and/or outdated software (or OS) on their server then it's their choice, not ours.

With Plesk there are no updates of any kind, however Plesk itself and services keep running without issues, also their license check keeps working. So the server can be kept online indefinitely. Unless it completely crashes or gets hacked ofcourse. However given the fact these servers are still running on CentOS 4.5, I doubt this will happen to be honest. Really too old. Point is Plesk nor DirectAdmin should decide for (our) customers. I don't get a notice from my garage for my car either that I have to get maintenance for my car; it's something I decide on. Would be very strange if the garage would call the shots and decide if I can drive with my own car or that I am being forced to get maintenance.

The point is, DirectAdmin should not be in charge if we can or cannot keep a current (older) server up and running, but we should make that choice. Fact is we paid money for the license/interface, which supported the OS. If the OS gets outdated, that is obviously no reason to force the customer to upgrade (to a newer OS) and/or re-do all of his code/programming. Just because DirectAdmin calls the shots. No no no...

The only thing DirectAdmin should do is leave older servers alone. It's our and the customers' choice to run with outdated software ofcourse, no DA. If Plesk can do / achieve this, so should DirectAdmin. This probably requires a slight modification to the DA license system. And while you're at it, maybe make commands work again like "./build rewrite_confs", which is a basic function, but doesn't work anymore with an older OS (e.g. CentOS 6.x). A simple solution would be to create a simple licensing system along with basic functions, so older systems can be kept online without issues (until hacked, crashed, whatever). But no new updates of any kind, no support, etc.

If we have to force customers to upgrade to a newer OS and they have to redo their scripting, I doubt we will keep these customers. They will probably cancel their server. The latter will costs us! About ~30% of all our customers (hosting, servers, resellers, etc.) do not care about updates. Yesterday I saw a Wordpress 3.5.x website running on a Plesk server. That's a Wordpress version from 2012. Ofcourse this an extreme example, but we see similar things like this every day. Same with Joomla. Also customers keep using old PHP-versions (on Plesk you can select more than 4 versions without issues and/or extra's), but still. This is what the customer decides. Customer is king and if they are not willing to change / update their website, hosting, server, whatever, than it's their choice. We can only inform them of the risks (which we do), but in the end the customer decides and not the other way around.

If the customer wants to run old and/or outdated software (or OS) on their server then it's their choice, not ours.
Ofcourse it is their choice, but you're not obligated to provide them then. Hence they should choose Plesk and not DA because Plesk has a different license structure.
So nice if it keeps working with ancient stuff, but DA's license is a 1 time payment for all versions. Plesk lifetime is lifetime for the current version and requires payment for major upgrades. Also costs money.
It's just a different business model. Like you choose either a PC or a MAC.

The point is, DirectAdmin should not be in charge if we can or cannot keep a current (older) server up and running, but we should make that choice.
Then you should choose a panel which provides the kind of license of that choice. You can't force a company to change their policy, just like you can't force Plesk to give you major upgrades for free. Different company's, different models.
Ofcourse I understand that some would like to keep an older server up and running with DA, we don't disagree about that, but it's just not working that way with DA.
Unfortunately maybe for some. On the other hand, from the 3 major panels, only DA is working this way, but for good reason also.

but in the end the customer decides and not the other way around.
That true for the most part, but not for all. Partly we all let the customer decide for certain things. Which is not always good.

As for being up to date with software on a server, that differs. Due to AVG/GPDR laws here in Europe we are responsible for the security of the server.
If a security issue happens and credentials get stolen, especially if we have out of date servers, then we, the company's are responsible. And due to this risk, we can not only inform the user but also force them at a certain time to make their choice, upgrade their stuff or change hosting service.
Or accept the risk of all the misery and costs which will come over your company on a data breach. And that last one your choice, not the customers.
Unless you're not in Europe. Which also makes different issues for different company's using DA.

That was just an example. But I will end my part of the discussion, as I didn't want to start up the discussion again anyway, but as stated only explain what already was discussed before. Others also already stated the same arguments you have, so it's a repeating of already known arguments. Which has not lead to changes yet.

Having that said.....
On the other hand, I certainly understand this issue is partly caused by the change of the license check. But abuse was also costing -them- money, so it was not without reason. But before that one could run servers without updates as long als the ip was correct and one did no updates, no matter how the license was ment. So yes it would be nice if some solution would be provided if possible. Ofcourse I don't disagree about something like that.

A simple solution would be to create a simple licensing system along with basic functions, so older systems can be kept online without issues (until hacked, crashed, whatever). But no new updates of any kind, no support, etc.
That would certainly be a good idea for all interested party's. Maybe with a small one time fee, because developping a seperate licensing system might also cost extra work.

But it might be better if they can see how many people would like something like this. DA already said here how their system is and that they won't change it and arguments here are already known.

Maybe if you put in a feature request on the feedback forum there will be votes, most likely I might even vote for it too as that is not a bad idea, but it gives a better impression as to how many requests there are for it, as not everybody is in the mood for posting on the forums.

I really think that maybe might have a better chance as DA already knows the arguments mentioned and said it wouldn't change. Slight chance, but if the numbers are high enough, one never knows.

@HHawk79
But the question is, who will you blame if your Audi car breaks down?

Audi because they dont make quality cars?
The garage because they probably did something wrong?
Yourself because you did not maintain the car?

Here in the Netherlands we have to get our car's checked on .. things every year for it to be safe on the road, if your car does not meet the requirements it can not be on the public road until it's fixed so do we get mad at the government who decides that my car can be on the road or not?

Most of the things apply the same to webservers / websites.

A website gets hacked, the customer will blame the hosting company for not keeping it secure enough, because we are humans and we would most likely only blame someone else and not our selfs.

A server sends spam? The hosting company get's blamed, it should have checked and dealt with it. (unless no maintain contract etc.)

Let's be true to our selfs, yes as a customer you should be able to decide on what OS (version) you run etc. i do agree yes.
But at the same time, you cant expect that DA keeps everything running for people with old OS (versions).

If you take your 1990 audi A4 to the garage because it needs a new exhaust, they tell you sorry we dont have that part anymore and it's not getting produced... aka go to the dumpster with your car.

Will you also be mad because they dont decide for you to buy a new car? No, you have to accept that it's old and not maintainable.

Just like the garage cant keep old parts, DA cant keep a old (and possible broken) system working. I can imagine that they updated the licence system because there was a hole in the old mechanism that kept illegal servers running.

Hi,
I have the same problem with my old server and "license has expired", DirectAdmin v.1.51.3. In my case I cant update VPS.
I'm very disappointed that license not work :(.
I have to move all data to another server (new VPS with new DA) but I cant make backup DA tools because not working... :(
Is any possibility to make backup users accounts and restore on new VPS? I have few users with many email accounts, how can I move them to new server?

I tried commmands from help but don't work for me...

Thanks for help
Rafal

Hi,
There is no problem with copy emails to new server, because I can use shell mount...
Unfortunately I don't passwords for emails accounts... For example I have a company with 50 employees and I have two ways: get from all employees passwords or change it manually generate and put to passwd...
Do you have better way?
With regards
Rafal

Hi,
There is no problem with copy emails to new server, because I can use shell mount...
Unfortunately I don't passwords for emails accounts... For example I have a company with 50 employees and I have two ways: get from all employees passwords or change it manually generate and put to passwd...
Do you have better way?
With regards
Rafal
Which error do you get when trying the CLI backup commands? They should work the same way as when running a backup from the GUI.

Last edited:
Hi,
I use command for example:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin admin-backup --destination=/home/admin/user_backups/ --user=user1
and I get usage:
Usage: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin [c|s|d|v|p|i|r|o|b(#)]
c : shows the values in the config file to make sure they were read in correctly
s : prints out where the program is slowing without forking. For Debugging only.
d : run as a daemon (required for init.d scripts)
v : prints the current program version and quits
p : set file permissions
i : run the program installer
r : runs as Deamon, but saves requests to file (debugging)
o : Shows which OS this binary is compiled on, and when.
b(#) : Dumps some debug info to stdout. # is optional debug level,eg b5

Hi,
I use command for example:
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin admin-backup --destination=/home/admin/user_backups/ --user=user1
and I get usage:
Usage: /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin [c|s|d|v|p|i|r|o|b(#)]
c : shows the values in the config file to make sure they were read in correctly
s : prints out where the program is slowing without forking. For Debugging only.
d : run as a daemon (required for init.d scripts)
v : prints the current program version and quits
p : set file permissions
i : run the program installer
r : runs as Deamon, but saves requests to file (debugging)
o : Shows which OS this binary is compiled on, and when.
b(#) : Dumps some debug info to stdout. # is optional debug level,eg b5
Hmm, maybe because you're using a very old DA version and the admin-backup feature wasn't introduced yet. Do the commands listed in the link below work?

Back