[PLUGIN] CustomBuild 2.0

Yep, we are still using the Enhanced skin as it is clear, compact and concise whilst the Evolution skin is hated with a passion for being unclear, etc.
I totally missed the handling of Custombuild was going to change like this, guess I need to read better ;-)
Anyway, thanks for the pointer though, and we'll test :-(

After Directadmin update to V1.647 CustomBuild option is missing fdrom Directadmin dashboard?

It always surprises me how few actually read the changelog before an update to their systems:unsure:
For now, it's more accurate to say: actually read the change log before asking and AFTER DA was updated automatically :) Not everyone comes to the forum for reading the change log of RC versions. So, CB2 plugin disappearing is a kind of surprise.

I think we (admins) still need the enhanced mode to know exactly which API parameters we can use.
And I agree, I can not get used to that new UI, it is horrible and (like others say) we end up using 'search' all the time to navigate. Is that user-friendly? Not in my opinion.
The explanation that the plugin is no longer compatible says more about the changes in the UI than about the plugin itself. I would say: the skin purposely made changes to no longer support the plugin. Or, I am just guessing, they want to stop supporting it (in the old skin) to save time.
One way or another, we are stuck with this now. No mater how many admins complain, it does not arrive.
I recall having send a suggestion to DA over 2 years a go, and I got a message back that it was a very good idea! And that it was to be scheduled. And it still has not been implemented, so I used Tampermonkey to do it myself. (in the file editor and log viewer, I asked them to add the spellcheck="false" option to the textarea, so we do not get all those jiggly red underlines). And another update long awaited: having 3 DNS servers. Can be done manually only. And is a lot of work to setup correctly.

Back to the CB plugin: I am not going to login on every server just to check if and which newer versions there are. Being able to do this in DA on every server is ever so welcome. I hope this will be kept supported! I tend to not install every minor change in some of the software, otherwise I could just as well set it to auto-update.

With regards to the changelog: updates are forced nowadays so there is no choice for us. And plugins being not the main core of DA software, I still think it is strange support has ended. One of the features which makes the product so versatile. But everyone may think for himself, I am not important.

Last edited:
will this issue be fixed since i don't have custombuild there anymore to
i don't understand why to break things that work good

I've multiple servers.. still using enhanced skin as it's really simple and Evolution skin is tooo much noisy and many other stuff.. but anyway, I've installed the plugin from https://www.custombuild.eu/plugin/custombuild.tar.gz and there is an error on absolutely all servers for that plugin:

View attachment 6554

so, no custom build option.. :( .. sad..
This version worked for me, at least partly - http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/2.0/custombuild.tar.gz , but in the end I reverted DA back to 1.646 anyway.

Maybe we need to think of creating a second admin per box? Use a key for access (or login as admin|secondname) and assign that other admin user the evolution skin? Then, all you need to figure out is how to get to the plugin as fast as you can (without learning all of the skin).
You do get all admin emails twice, so use an email address which is a throw-away (or fake as in admin.local.host).

* I have not tested all of this, it is just the first thing that comes to my mind!

As for me, I will try and get used to SSH'ing into every box (and I have a lot of them to maintain), or possibly write my own plugin to at least check what can be updated.

In the end, I do hope DA will fix this issue. The user interface makes the chances on errors a lot lower imho becasue of the complete overview.

Have settled on Evolution -> Default Layout: Standard && Standard layout default menu type: Display as Grid.... And a little custom CSS to change the header layout/style more like the company site.

Customers seem to be fine with it set like that, everything easily accessible at top of page. I find it's not too cluttered and things are fairly easy to find. Least amount of messing around, don't want to use an unsupported theme.

I ended up adding a new admin with a blackholed email and the evolution skin, and then I suspended it. Not ideal, but it works for me (even if it is suspended, you still can 'login as' and everything works, just because you are an admin)!
(I switch via the List Administrators link)

My second best idea was to create a page with API calls which can easily switch the skin of the usual admin account. But that is even more of a hassle.

I notice the evolution custombuild version does not end with the message 'done'. Not ideal. Doing updates unattended is less of an option now.

Ah well. I am okay with my solution. Anyone a better idea (in which you get to keep the enhanced theme)?

It is a very sad day that DirectAdmin decides to scrap the Custombuild plugin. Not all of us have the time available to obtain a PHD in Server Management. It seems like DirectAdmin is becoming an elitist control panel platform... I have been using it for more than 15 years now, and to have to look for another option is very disturbing to me ... :cry::cry:

DirectAdmin Support seems to be quite quiet in all of this. Not a very nice way to treat the users who have supported you for years. :confused:

It is a very sad day that DirectAdmin decides to scrap the Custombuild plugin. Not all of us have the time available to obtain a PHD in Server Management. It seems like DirectAdmin is becoming an elitist control panel platform... I have been using it for more than 15 years now, and to have to look for another option is very disturbing to me ... :cry::cry:
Read my message, it is right above yours. Use the new skin, you can do that! Or else, if you refuse, get used to (learn) Linux.

@jemesouviens I don't really get it. Everything is still working for me. The features of the CustomBuild plugin have been included directly in DirectAdmin, so the plugin isn't needed anymore. Only if you are still using an old skin you might have the issue, because that skin isn't supported anymore and incompatible with the recent DirectAdmin version.

Indeed switching to the Evolution skin is your best option in this case. I did and after a few hours, I slowly begin to find were everything is. Than I switched back to the Enhanced skin because I had to change multiple settings for different users and it was like click - click - click... done ? The simple and compact style makes it work at least 10 times faster haha. I like thinks simple, no loading icons, useless info popups that flash for 0.1 second, no fading in and out effects etc. But we can complain all we want, it seems like this boat has sailed. So Evolution it is ?‍?️.

Back