[RELEASE] Ruby on Rails Direct Admin Plugin

actually you should be upgrading to 1.1.6. Instructions are on the admin news under 'Ruby on Rails" in DA.

Justin

vandal said:
Note you may have to restart apache to see it work.

I am currently mailing with Justin how to allow users to reload their application.

How do other users of the plugin handle this? Do your users call you and you restart the server?

TIA,
Mike

I'm not sure how others do it, but I always saw that as a problem with ruby. Giving users control to reload apache probably isn't a good solution.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Justin

On a busy server it shouldn't be that much of an issue, as Apache reloads every time there are additions / changes ....

Hello

I did not have the courage to read the x pages of this thread.

I am interest with this plugin, but i have a couple of questions :

1) Does this plugin install ruby/fastcgi etc ... on is self ? Or do whe have to already have all of them working and up?

2) I already have ruby on rails working on a server; do i have to delete it all then add the plugin? or will it work ok ?

3) I have fedora c4, thats ok i think yes ?

Thanx for your reply
GUNNING Sky

@heininger that is an option, however users will have to configure mod_proxy for apache themselves, as well there is no real decent documentation on proxying mongrel to apache on the mongrel website. If you have any insight on this, please email/pm me/whichever and we would be happy to start playing with it. Not to mention on a busy server it would require proxy load balancing and as far as I know that only works on apache 2.x

@sky

1) Yes.

2) You should delete it, or use on a fresh server. We cannot support a machine that has a previous configuration on it. The plugin is ment for a fresh server without ruby/rails/fastcgi.

3) yes, as long as it is 32bit.

i have no control on the user access? everyone can access the plugin?

and the "shell" is not a real shell...just a HTML form..

would you please list some planned features to persuade me not to request a refund?

We are still looking into the user access, and trying to find the best method to accomplish this.

Our main new feature is adding either mongrel or lighthttpd so users can control their application and restart their own server so as to not having the admin restart apache for them. This is still up in the air dependant on the users.

After playing with this plugin for a few days, i found this is completly not the one I am looking for and really disappointed.

My conclusion on this plugin
1, No user access control at all. Every one can use the plugin.

2, Lack of features. just Create, Delete, exec() or system() some commands in the so call HTML form "shell" (its not a problem but you better use AJAX).

3, It just spent me 2 hours to write a similar plugin. To me 59 CAD is too much.

4, Ther is no "Powerful interface". Why the users still have to type command in the "shell"?

5, Insecure.
Try entering
|DA_URL|:2222/CMD_PLUGINS/ruby_on_rails (without domain query)
or
|DA_URL|:2222/CMD_PLUGINS/ruby_on_rails/?domain=|whatever|

and create an application.

Then look into /home/username/domains :eek:

6, If their site is down, or somehow there is a connection problem, the plugin will not work due to license validation failure

7, Not sure if the plugin is a copy work.
I tried executing the wrapper in /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/ruby_on_rails/install/ and got this output:

[root@XX install]# chmod 755 wrapper_lin_x86
[root@XX install]# ./wrapper_lin_x86
Could not open input file: /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/jtbox/api.php
JTBox? :confused:

Above are just my two cents. Looking forward to seeing some improvements in the future release.

i am sorry but i would like to request a refund. what are the procedures?

1. This is something we are working on.

2. It is a new plugin. You did not mention this plugin also installs and configures ruby on rails and all required plugins. For some users this is very important.

3. Congratulations.

4. We used a web based "shell" because ruby users would be familiar with the shell interface if they develop ruby applications.

5. We are aware of this. If the user wants to create thousands of directories in their domains folder they can. They can do this with ftp too, all the folders would be owned by the user. This is NOT security risk.

6. Yes this is true. We went this method to easily update users license files.

7. I asked Jtbox if we could use his install procedure, he said it was no problem.

Justin

Hi,

Intresting this module to debian, so question is when get this module to DA with debian (any eta time) ?

Zoner

And now their site is down, the plugin doesn't load. If anyone comes up with a real plugin for ROR, please let me know.

Back