Custom Apache Build System

Hello all,

This is a great package my only prob is that... I don't need webalizer so I comented the webalizer call in "build" file

After all installation process is done I start the httpd service and it doesn't execute php :(
It shows it as plain text... Couldn't figure out which lines I'm missing

Hello,

The webalizer part of the build is only run if /usr/bin/webalizer doesn't exist. (/usr/local/bin/webalizer on FreeBSD).. so if you create a dummy file, then DA won't do anything. To get php going, you should be able to run:

./build clean
./build all

or "./build php" for php only. Also, make sure that php is actually enabled for that domain :) (User Panel -> Advanced Options -> Domain Administration -> domain.com -> php = ON )

You can also check /usr/local/direcatdmin/data/users/username/httpd.conf to see if the php engine flag is on.

John

Hello again, thanks for the reply.

I'm new to all this I think it's just an Apache configuration issue.

These are the lines that mention "php" in my httpd.conf.
Could anyone tell me if they are correct / enough plz :/

LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.so
AddModule mod_php4.c
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.php4 index.php5 index.html
</IfModule>
AddType application/x-http-php .php php3 php4
<Files ~ "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php3?)$">
SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
</Files>

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Yes, those line are more or less what I have. There are a few more LoadModule/AddModules lines, but they only apply if you are using older php modules.

John

I was looking a easy way to install Zend and this was it!!! Thanks DA staff.

Only problem I encountered was when the zend installer went to restart Apache it could not restart for "some unknown reason". I did a reboot instead and in Php info, zend version now shows

Hello,

yes, zends method of restarting apache doesn't work with DA (uses apachectl I think). So just run "service httpd restart" after it's installed ("/usr/local/etc/rc.d/httpd restart" for FreeBSD)

John

How do I find out what modules are currently installed for apache?

Thanks
Eric

Create an info.php file with the following

<? phpinfo(); ?>

Then view the page. The apache modules should be listed under the "apache" section.

John

It's not missing anything, is it? I installed DA by executing setup.sh

Apache Version
Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/4.3.4 mod_perl/1.27 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510

Loaded Modules
mod_ssl, mod_php4, mod_perl, mod_frontpage, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_headers, mod_expires, mod_auth_anon, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_info, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_log_referer, mod_log_agent, mod_log_config, mod_env, mod_vhost_alias, http_core

Everything has worked fine so far; it's just that webmin is not picking up some of the modules (see attached image).

Attachments

• tmp.gif
    tmp.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 422
Eric said:
Everything has worked fine so far; it's just that webmin is not picking up some of the modules (see attached image).

Note that using webmin is NOT recommended while also using DA :D
Perhaps since those modules can also be found in DA (i thought something like > login as user > advanced > modules) or something... Note the 'something' there, since i'm not really sure

Icheb said:
Note that using webmin is NOT recommended while also using DA :D
Not recommended by whom, Icheb?

By you?

i've never seen the recommendation to not use webmin made by anyone else before, and I know many DA server administrators who use it quite successfully.

There are perhaps a few things you shouldn't do with webmin, but in general DA is a lot more friendly towards webmin than any of the other control panels I've used.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Not recommended by whom, Icheb?

By you?

i've never seen the recommendation to not use webmin made by anyone else before, and I know many DA server administrators who use it quite successfully.

There are perhaps a few things you shouldn't do with webmin, but in general DA is a lot more friendly towards webmin than any of the other control panels I've used.

Jeff

Its not recommended because direct admin cannot support it
(they even said it in this thread: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=381&highlight=webmin )

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I'll discuss it with Mark, and if necessary, John, by email today.

I think we can get that thread amended; webmin is at least as safe as the command line with DirectAdmin, probably a bit safer in that it won't let you do certain things improperly.

Webmin, as a control panel, is fairly light-handed; it doesn't use any of it's own files and so has nothing to keep in synchronization with the OS.

So is DA, really. While DA does have some of it's own files, they generally neither impact, nor get impacted by, reasonable administration from the command line or reasonable administration by DirectAdmin.

Jeff

I see where John/Mark are coming from...
I also see where Jeff is coming from...

In my opinion the end response needs to be in the middle of both the views of DA and the views of Jeff.

(In my opinion...) The best option would be:#

DirectAdmin allow it with *LIMITED* support rather than kill support totally, if anything seems entirely out of place (rewritten configs removed data etc) then possibly drop the support for the issue....... if its a clear DA issue then support is continued as normal..

Must disagree with a comment though Jeff, "webmin is at least as safe as the command line with DirectAdmin, probably a bit safer in that it won't let you do certain things improperly."

With command line you generally have the experience to determine where the file gets written when you type in the path... with webmin (of for the sake of argument, any control panel) you allow it to do its own configs modify its own files.

Chris

I can certainly see where you're coming from, as well.

I can't forsee of a circumstance under which webmin would overwrite an existing control file in a way that would damage anything, although there might be some. I'd like to hear some anecdotal evidence if there is any.

For example: DNS...

DA keeps DNS files in the right place. Webmin shouldn't have any problems with it, except that Webmin could create DNS records which DA wouldn't understand.

When I've created zone files (manually) with records that DA didn't understand (for example to add MX records pointing to backup mail servers) it didn't break anything. (It did create MX records that DA couldn't fully understand, but DA kept the records, and you could make changes to DA without affecting the records.)

I'd like to see or hear of some specific examples of how Webmin could break DA.

I can see how John might be unwilling to offer free unlimited support to people who break things because they've used Webmin, that's completely reasonable.

I also remember when Cobalt (before Sun bought them) told everyone that if you even logged and added something like chkrootkit your complete warranty was voided. It's those kinds of blanket statements I like to see avoided, and clarified if possible.

I remain fully committed to DA, and if it means anything, I'm certainly willing to support DA for people who are also using Webmin :) .

Jeff

Well..... I have only ever used webmin once and that was faintly, its not really of much interest to me, im not going to state what WILL cause problems, I have not tested and dont intend to although looking at the modules some that may want to be avoided:

Editing disk quotas
sendmail config manager

Besides that.... if it modifies rather than writes entire configs for everything it looks ok :)

jlasman said:
I remain fully committed to DA, and if it means anything, I'm certainly willing to support DA for people who are also using Webmin :) .

I think its the same for most who support users currently, both on the forums and off :)

Chris

I'm not sure if editing quotas will cause any problems; certainly it won't if command line editing of quotas won't.

And of course I wouldn't edit sendmail :) .

But that comes under the whole "common sense" thing.

If you don't do anything with webmin you wouldn't do from the command line you should be okay.

Jeff

Back