DirectAdmin 1.62.0 BETA-1

Where is that option? I am on 1.61.5 version and when I go to user level > User Badckup I can't select individual domains to backup - do you mean that option in the beta?
it's on pre-release 1.62 :D

This raises the following question for me: for a short time there was the "owned" licence (replaced the traditional lifetime licence --> https://web.archive.org/web/20190711165157/https://directadmin.com/pricing.php), this was valid for one year when purchased and has to be renewed every year for 99$ to get updates and support, how does it look in this case?

"Every other license that extends support gets a pro pack too" says for me that I also get it because I've to pay for the updates. Is that right?
Do you have one? We converted almost all of those to legacy lifetime because we took the security concerns so seriously (that people would run outdated versions to save money). The amount of people left who have this "owned" license I could probably count on one hand. :)

Do you have one? We converted almost all of those to legacy lifetime because we took the security concerns so seriously (that people would run outdated versions to save money). The amount of people left who have this "owned" license I could probably count on one hand. :)
Not one, few.

Yes Mark, see our mail conservation from 29.06.2020. Indeed, 50% were converted, the other 50% I refused and they are still on the "owned" model.

You already have it in user-level :) Pro-pack is about more advanced backup, allowing per-file, per-database etc. restores.

Which competitor are we talking about? I'd call it a different feature set. I'm not sure if they have OpenLiteSpeed support, feature sets, plugins as package items, rspamd, nginx unit, nginx template selection on user-level for CMS, MX templates, resource controls etc.?
When writing about the competition, I had plesk in mind. Answering the questions, I will answer from the point of view of a hosting company employee, where we provide VPS servers with DirectAdmin to our clients and we have several hundred DirectAdmin servers:

1. OpenLitespeed is available in DA yes but it's a toy, openlitespeed console is read only, I can't see domain logs if I'm using openlitespeed, can't change DocumentRoot if I'm using OpenliteSpeed etc. Litespeed Enterprise works great, openlitespeed causes so many problems, that we do not include it in production, unless the customer insists and knows what he wants.
2. Rspamd - they don't, but I went back to SpamAssassin anyway because I can't add all the rules I want to rspamd, on the other hand, plesk has, for example, GreyListing support or automatic e-mail configuration with one button, while in DA you have to create it manually
3. "plugins as package items," - OK, but what for? Since I counted maybe 10 plugins for DirectAdmin, such available for purchase, see in the plesk store how much there is to various things from backups on Gdrive / dropbox, integration with DNS on Amazon S3 or even online migrations between servers or mail migration available for the customer. I know that there is imapsync, that I can write this or that in bash, that I can write a plugin only that the competition already has it without looking for solutions in forums.
4. "MX templates?" So this feature where I choose to have my mail handled by G-suite? OK - it's cool, but it's a trifle that nobody in the mass of tickets for migrating mail or transferring a page from one server to another, even between DA servers about moving pages from cpanel, plastic or more exotic solutions, let alone.
5. NGINX CMS templates? It is - nice, but we can find this type of prefabs on the Internet, just paste in Custom HTTPD Configuration, the average customer will not know what it is for and those who are more aware will find a solution on the Internet

When writing about the competition, I had plesk in mind. Answering the questions, I will answer from the point of view of a hosting company employee, where we provide VPS servers with DirectAdmin to our clients and we have several hundred DirectAdmin servers:

1. OpenLitespeed is available in DA yes but it's a toy, openlitespeed console is read only, I can't see domain logs if I'm using openlitespeed, can't change DocumentRoot if I'm using OpenliteSpeed etc. Litespeed Enterprise works great, openlitespeed causes so many problems, that we do not include it in production, unless the customer insists and knows what he wants.
2. Rspamd - they don't, but I went back to SpamAssassin anyway because I can't add all the rules I want to rspamd, on the other hand, plesk has, for example, GreyListing support or automatic e-mail configuration with one button, while in DA you have to create it manually
3. "plugins as package items," - OK, but what for? Since I counted maybe 10 plugins for DirectAdmin, such available for purchase, see in the plesk store how much there is to various things from backups on Gdrive / dropbox, integration with DNS on Amazon S3 or even online migrations between servers or mail migration available for the customer. I know that there is imapsync, that I can write this or that in bash, that I can write a plugin only that the competition already has it without looking for solutions in forums.
4. "MX templates?" So this feature where I choose to have my mail handled by G-suite? OK - it's cool, but it's a trifle that nobody in the mass of tickets for migrating mail or transferring a page from one server to another, even between DA servers about moving pages from cpanel, plastic or more exotic solutions, let alone.
5. NGINX CMS templates? It is - nice, but we can find this type of prefabs on the Internet, just paste in Custom HTTPD Configuration, the average customer will not know what it is for and those who are more aware will find a solution on the Internet
I’m not going to argue on this, if you find these or other features useless. Regarding $25 vs. $29 thing - I was unable to find any pricing like this on the official page, so I think the comparison is not fair :) I’ve found monthly unlimited license for dedicated servers for $49.5 vs. $29, which is 41.41% cheaper.

I’ve found monthly unlimited license for dedicated servers for $49.5
I don't know where you were looking but that price is $ 39,60 a month (Webhost edition unlimited) on the official page (checked just now).
They do have some lower prices for VPS, unlimited for $ 22,- a month. This is from the official pricing page today. Maybe that is where he's pointing at, because is talking about renting VPS servers. So then we're talking about $ 22,- a month.

However, there are also other things. CSF is not integrated in Plesk, you can do it yourself. What I personally don't like, there is no free anti-virus scanner in Plesk, they do not support Clamav for example.

So in fact, improvements can be made on any panel available, it depends on what you use or want to use as a customer and are prepared to pay for it also. And we've seen already a lot of improvements here. Where for example the question for CSF integration at Plesk was closed because of "lack of interest". ;)

Regarding the pricing

Firstly. as I said main of our clients are VPS services and the licenses for VPSes are cheaper, secondly plesk allows reselling license and for VPSes are even cheaper. Afs for CSF integration, the point is that plesk has build-in firewall so the integration of CSF is a bit redundant but in case the more advanced firewall is needed there are extenions available. as for AV , you can use free ImmunifyAV or other more powerful extensions like warden anti-spam extension.

To be honest, I don't think that DirectAdmin is bad,just a bit too high priced in comparison to plesk with lack of some features that can be useful in hostting indunstry. To be more helpful below are some advice from me that you should consider:

1 Some special licenses for VPSes, like $15 monthly for unlimited domains and $5 for say 30 domains and no reseller functionality, the most of our customers have 10 - 20 domains max on VPSes and there are users created from admin reseller so that's, why I think that sgould be fine.

2. Something like cpanel DNSOnly available for free or for a small fee like $1 - $2 per month

3. Nicer backup with predefined backup storage dropbox, gdrive or borg backup, your backup are convenient but sometimes client wants to restore specific file or directory and there is no possibility except third-party software.

4. REALLY REALLY - please integrate imapsync with DirectAdmin - we have a lot of support requests like I want to transfer to you but what about mail, and at this time we have to do that manually.

2. Something like cpanel DNSOnly available for free or for a small fee like $1 - $2 per month
For free? cPanel is not doing this for free either. And for $2 a month is already exising, you can use the personal license for that. If DNS only there is no 10 domain limit. Also you can use Directslave (no GUI) which is for free.

3. I thought this was already being worked on. External backups, not sure.

4. Great idea, but you can use the feature request section for that. I think it will get enough support.

This is in eur. I think it is not fair to compare € to $,
Oeps I'm sorry. I didn't noticed the currency difference. I was already wondering. In that case you're still right, sorry!

Personally, I preferred DA over Plesk for a long time. And I still don't like Plesk.

This is in eur. I think it is not fair to compare € to $, or different license type with dedicated option on DA site :)

Regarding discounts - DA has many of them too, including automatic bulk discount.
I disagree with you - in DirectAdmin we don't have choice with the license VPS or dedicated so it is totally fine in case I mentioned all the time, our company sells mainly VPSes, so if we have cheaper VPSes license we are looking for it do you understand? As for discount for bulk price sure You have that option, however customer needs to buy several licenses to get it and reselling licenses alone is illegal with DirectAdmin, where on the other hand I can go to plesk reseller and buy one license just for testing or for one client.

Please understand - I don't think that DirectAdmin is a bad product the truth is that our company use hundreds of your licenses, mainly legacy lifetime but there are couple of standard one because we have insufficient lifetime, we know DirectAdmin, we can customize it etc, etc what I want to say is that DirectAdmin is not so attractive now, when lifetime licenses are gone (yes I know why and I can agree) for hosting companies whose starts with nothing. The competitor are a bit cheaper or equal in the price but with more options that in my opinion are used more frequently in everyday. Of course, if we talking about company like ours with several years of experience in the market, with the admin that knows DirectAdmin and with hundreds of licences already then OK, we will probably stay with DirectAdmin even knowing the price increase and lack of lifetime licence but as I said couple of times, my post wa written to point out that in case of new companies wchich have no control panel yet and with no customer base there might be a cheapper an dependently of his biznes model even better choice.

This is in eur. I think it is not fair to compare € to $, or different license type with dedicated option on DA site :)

Regarding discounts - DA has many of them too, including automatic bulk discount.
Any news regards pro pack pricing and how wordpress manager be like ?

Every retail standard/lite license has it. Every other license that extends support gets a pro pack too ($199/year). I’d like to note that bulk pricing is automatic and available for retail licenses (-15% to -25% off).
Does this also mean that the Pro pack will be included in the Lite/Standard licenses?

I currently have a personal license but would like to use the Pro Pack (And i also mean after the betas) so if its included in the Lite license it would be a license upgrade for me. And is there any information you can provide on what the price will be for the Pro pack if there not in the license.

Back