DirectSlave - solution to add and remove zones on slave without DirectAdmin

Hi to all the DirectSlave users! :)

I've got something amazing for you.

This is a brand NEW DirectSlave GO/3.0 - rock solid, bare metal cross-compiled, statically linked binary package.

No more perl, no CPAN, no modules, no dependencies - just install it as system services and start having fun.

Reduced memory & CPU consumption, exactly for tiny virtual instances (with 512Mb RAM).

Written in Go, available for Linux (x32, amd64 & arm) & FreeBSD (x32, amd64).

Feel free to contact me for getting a beta in one or two weeks :)

Perfect ;)
I'm interested :)

I stuck in interesting place...
All outgoing connections made from DirectAdmin to external services is SSLv2!
You won't believe me, but I don't want to underestimate a risks and must do some additional test and checks.
Stay tuned

Guys, I forget to document out one of the 3.0 feature:

Point your browser (or any script) to host, running 3.0 beta at http://host:port/CMD_API_MEMORY_MONITOR and you will see the urlencoded output of current memory allocated to running DS server. This is for test purposes, watching your memory may be important, just in case :)

By the way, SSLv2 issue has been detected and fixed (thanks, John from DirectAdmin team!)
You can use "ssl on" without any restrictions, it's TLSv1.2 and HTTP/2 onboard in DS 3.0.

Last edited:
I have a fairly big ISP here in the US that keeps omitting my server & sites from its indexing (it's getting very frustrating to continually tell people to change their DNS server to 8.8.8.8). Figure I'd give this solution a go, but it looks like DSv3.0 might be a whole lot easier to install, any guess on when it will be out of Beta? I recently installed MondoRuscue, satisfying the PERL module requirements on DSv2.1 don't look nearly as tough as that was, but I've always preferred to install the latest versions of any software.

Working on Centos 7 64-bit with selinux .
Easier is to remove old config and run new than upgrading ;)

I have a fairly big ISP here in the US that keeps omitting my server & sites from its indexing (it's getting very frustrating to continually tell people to change their DNS server to 8.8.8.8). Figure I'd give this solution a go, but it looks like DSv3.0 might be a whole lot easier to install, any guess on when it will be out of Beta? I recently installed MondoRuscue, satisfying the PERL module requirements on DSv2.1 don't look nearly as tough as that was, but I've always preferred to install the latest versions of any software.

Hi Tom!

There is no release of 3.XX until it's completely varnished out of any kind of errors.
Please, be so kind, explain, what exactly do you need DirectSlave for? It's not the authoritative DNS nor secondary itself, just software to keep zones from DirectAdmin in sync with secondary nameserver.
If you completely describe your needs, I'll try to find a solution for you.

If you completely describe your needs, I'll try to find a solution for you.
The only DNS records I have for all my sites reside on the same server. My hypothesis is that the big ISP tried to index all the sites on my server when it couldn't reach the server for some reason, so when anyone with that ISP as their internet provider tries to access any of the sites, they get an error that the site does not exist. JLasman way back when told me I could have such a problem, he provided a secondary DNS server solution that would solve just such a problem. I am thinking I buy some cheap cloud account as my secondary DNS solution and run DirectSlave to give me Secondary DNS records incase my server is down when it's indexing time. Is DS the solution for that?

Thanks Roman!

The only DNS records I have for all my sites reside on the same server. My hypothesis is that the big ISP tried to index all the sites on my server when it couldn't reach the server for some reason, so when anyone with that ISP as their internet provider tries to access any of the sites, they get an error that the site does not exist. JLasman way back when told me I could have such a problem, he provided a secondary DNS server solution that would solve just such a problem. I am thinking I buy some cheap cloud account as my secondary DNS solution and run DirectSlave to give me Secondary DNS records incase my server is down when it's indexing time. Is DS the solution for that?

Thanks Roman!

Exactly for that! Give it a try. For which system you want to get a beta 3?

There is some updates in 3.0.2:

+ RNDC queue. Due to DirectAdmin behavior, when it sends multiple "add" requests for newly added domain,
every single request forces DirectSlave to trigger `rndc`, which causes CPU load due to `named` config reload.
Now, if domain added/removed/reloaded on primary, internal rndc queue populated with events and processed
once per 30 seconds, `rndc reload` called only if events exists in queue.

Back