Discussion about CustomBuild

Hello,

There was a recent change to the following files with custombuild:
/etc/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-php-handlers.conf
/etc/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-suphp.conf

The following directive encompases the AddHandlers:
Code:
<FilesMatch "\.(inc|php|php3|php4|php5|phtml|phps)$">
I would guess it's related, but I'm not quite sure how it would be... as it should only affect the extensions in question and not .htaccess files.

John

Thank you very much, the problem was here...

I was commented the lines "<FilesMatch...>" in httpd-suphp.conf and now it's run ! Thank you again ! Bye.

Will CustomBuild 1.1 make any conflicts when putting in Installatron? (Anyone has experience in doing so?)

Added bold, crontab options (only avaible from CustomBuild 1.1.13) and atmail.

configure.php5

Can anyone explain to me why the configure.php5 uses --with-mysql=/usr ?

--with-mysql enables support to access mysql databases through PHP. After --with-mysql we can optionally specify directory where mysql is installed like --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql. To use mysql database functions you must have mysql database installed on your system. If you don't have mysql installed you can remove this option. If this option is not used then library, which is bundled with PHP is used to access mysql databases.

/usr is not where mysql is installed - so what impact does this have?

build jail error

Hello,

Issuing "./build all_jail" gives this error-message (and stops the build):
Code:
--10:32:29--  http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/jail.tar.gz
           => `./jail.tar.gz'
Resolving files.directadmin.com... 72.35.85.222
Connecting to files.directadmin.com|72.35.85.222|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 13,833 (14K) [application/x-gzip]

100%[=================================================================================================================>] 13,833        --.--K/s             

10:32:29 (138.58 KB/s) - `./jail.tar.gz' saved [13833/13833]

File already exists:	nbsmtp-1.00.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
./build: line 6126: cd: nbsmtp-1.00: No such file or directory
./build: line 6127: ./configure: is a directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

*** The make has failed ***

Version: 1.1.12 (according to just typing ./build)

Is this something that needs to be fixed at the file-source (files.directadmin.com), or?

I'm not a big fan of testing on live servers - please let us know when this is out of "alpha" or "beta" release so we're not potentially impacting customers. As of now, the custombuild script is the most current - and it may potentially impact not just suphp, but other portions of a build.

Please release this ONLY when it's tested internally by Directadmin - and don't force a broken custombuild to our servers.

Great, more "beta" quirks.

Comon guys, we rely on Directadmin for our financial stability - we need your product to work CORRECTLY - 100% of the time.

Please address these concerns as soon as possible!

What's wrong with it at the moment? (except jailed ssh which is in beta)

What's wrong with it at the moment? (except jailed ssh which is in beta)

In my opinion, as a HEAVY user of Directadmin, a piece of beta code should not have been placed in a released custombuild script. This should have been a standalone script BEFORE it was introduced to a critical update component of Directadmin.

While I sincerely appreciate your work on this, and other issues, Directadmin was not sold as a "user" or "community" supported project. This function (jailed ssh/suphp) should have been built OUTSIDE the custombuild scripts - until proven and tested (which goes back to my original reply to you that I didn't have servers you could "test" on) ...

IF the code was of high enough quality to be included in the official Directadmin release, it THEN should have been included and released by Directadmin (aka John/Mark) - not by a user. Directadmin should have tested this on THEIR servers to make sure it was working properly BEFORE releasing it, even in beta, to the users).

A user (smtalk or jlasman - or anyone), releasing code that is part of the core Directadmin program, makes it nothing more than user supported shareware and may as well have been released under GPL. (As far as I know, jlasman nor smtalk are not employees of Directadmin/JBMC Software)

Again, this is NOT a slam on any user - it's just what I'm seeing. I appreciate the work that Martynas, Jeff and others have put into developing enhancements. My opinion is that Directadmin themselves (aka John/Mark) should be either releasing it as release quality - not "beta" or "testing".

There are several hosts here that have a LOT of servers - and have staked their reputation on Directadmin. I don't like to jeopardize the integrity of the program, scripts or security of the servers, and I'm sure my competitors, large and small, don't appreciate it either.

That being said, I'll get off my soapbox and answer your original question:

What's wrong with it at the moment?

I currently have not tested the latest version - mainly because a PART of that code being used is beta - as I ranted above. I don't trust the integrity of the remaining code. Remove that part of the code, and I'll be happy to run the original custombuild and work out any errors we may encounter.

Thank you

(Everyone not concerned with this, I'm not a madman on a rant - these are, I feel, legitimate concerns as a company that has over 100 servers with Directadmin installed, and thousands of customers using the product. If this doesn't affect you, feel free to move on.)

Last edited:
Hello,

Issuing "./build all_jail" gives this error-message (and stops the build):
Code:
--10:32:29--  http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/jail.tar.gz
           => `./jail.tar.gz'

100%[=================================================================================================================>] 13,833        --.--K/s             

10:32:29 (138.58 KB/s) - `./jail.tar.gz' saved [13833/13833]

File already exists:    nbsmtp-1.00.tar.gz
./build: line 6126: cd: nbsmtp-1.00: No such file or directory
./build: line 6127: ./configure: is a directory

Version: 1.1.12 (according to just typing ./build)

Is this something that needs to be fixed at the file-source (files.directadmin.com), or?

It's working fine for me. Try: rm -f nbsmtp-1.00.tar.gz.

In my opinion, as a HEAVY user of Directadmin, a piece of beta code should not have been placed in a released custombuild script. This should have been a standalone script BEFORE it was introduced to a critical update component of Directadmin.

Apache 2.0 support in CustomApache is still BETA :) As well as Jail support in CustomApache too. It doesn't affect the whole script, because it's written in functions that are called by user and it's said that jailed shell support is BETA, but everything else is working without any problems.

hostpc.com said:
While I sincerely appreciate your work on this, and other issues, Directadmin was not sold as a "user" or "community" supported project. This function (jailed ssh/suphp) should have been built OUTSIDE the custombuild scripts - until proven and tested (which goes back to my original reply to you that I didn't have servers you could "test" on) ...

I got one from Jeff (jlasman), and I only released the script after testing on that server and it was still marked as BETA. Your problem with jailed ssh was with sh-utils and it's not a CustomBuild problem, sh-utils package is used in older release of Jailed ssh script for CustomApache (so you will have the same problem with that script too) and now it's changed by coreutils. Thank you that you appreciate my work (I really appreciate that).

hostpc.com said:
IF the code was of high enough quality to be included in the official Directadmin release, it THEN should have been included and released by Directadmin (aka John/Mark) - not by a user. Directadmin should have tested this on THEIR servers to make sure it was working properly BEFORE releasing it, even in beta, to the users).
I don't have any access to DA servers and John always takes a look (tests) at the script or any "fix" before the release. Only then CustomBuild is uploaded to DA servers.

hostpc.com said:
A user (smtalk or jlasman - or anyone), releasing code that is part of the core Directadmin program, makes it nothing more than user supported shareware and may as well have been released under GPL. (As far as I know, jlasman nor smtalk are not employees of Directadmin/JBMC Software)
No, you are not right here :) About the code - we wrote it together with John, so John can provide full support for it. I just wrote CustomBuild FAQ because John didn't have enough time for it.

hostpc.com said:
Again, this is NOT a slam on any user - it's just what I'm seeing. I appreciate the work that Martynas, Jeff and others have put into developing enhancements. My opinion is that Directadmin themselves (aka John/Mark) should be either releasing it as release quality - not "beta" or "testing".

Thanks again. It needs to be released as beta, because there is no other way to track bugs :) "Admin transfer/backup" was marked as beta, but released with a stable DirectAdmin release, as well as "Move users between resellers", "Apache 2.0 support (customapache)", "Jailed shell (customapache)", "Move domains between users".

I'll wait to see John's reply to this issue.

After almost 5 years of using Directadmin, I've never been so tempted to change to another hosting platform.

Hello,

It's working fine for me. Try: rm -f nbsmtp-1.00.tar.gz.

I have done that, and also removed jail.tar.gz and still get the same issues.

Code:
ginstall-install.o(.text+0x451): In function `install_file_in_file':
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12/src/install.c:251: undefined reference to `matchpathcon_init_prefix'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [ginstall] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12'
make: *** [all] Error 2

--09:48:35--  http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/jail.tar.gz
           => `./jail.tar.gz'

100%[=========================================================================================================================>] 13,833        --.--K/s             

09:48:35 (138.70 KB/s) - `./jail.tar.gz' saved [13833/13833]

File already exists:	nbsmtp-1.00.tar.gz
./build: line 6166: cd: nbsmtp-1.00: No such file or directory
./build: line 6167: ./configure: is a directory

I'm using CentOS 4.4 on this machine.

Should I remove whatever of the Jailed shell option that was installed and try to install again? (Not that I think that it can matter in this particular case?)

After almost 5 years of using Directadmin, I've never been so tempted to change to another hosting platform.

If CustomBuild is the reason - you can switch to CustomApache :) I really appreciate your opinion but I don't understand why CustomBuild is the reason for that.

If CustomBuild is the reason - you can switch to CustomApache :) I really appreciate your opinion but I don't understand why CustomBuild is the reason for that.

Because CustomApache is Apache 1.x - which is severely outdated and I refuse to go backwards with software. Apache 2 is only supported in CustomBuild - which is what each of these servers was built from. I'm NOT going to regress to older, outdated and shortly unsupported versions.

Back