Discussion about CustomBuild

No, Apache 2.0 is supported by CustomApache too :) You can install 2.2 easilly too (you just need to change APACHE2_VER variable and that's it. http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=441

Martynas - I'm not going to argue with you any further. I'm NOT reverting to CustomApache.

If this is the "official" representatives attitude here lately, I believe my decisions have already been made. If you're replying as a user, thank you for your OPINION.

I always reply as a user. I really don't want to argue with you. If anything offends you, again, I am very sorry.

Hello,

I have done that, and also removed jail.tar.gz and still get the same issues.

Code:
ginstall-install.o(.text+0x451): In function `install_file_in_file':
/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12/src/install.c:251: undefined reference to `matchpathcon_init_prefix'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [ginstall] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/coreutils-6.12'
make: *** [all] Error 2

*** The make has failed ***
--09:48:35--  http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/jail.tar.gz
           => `./jail.tar.gz'
Resolving files.directadmin.com... 72.35.85.222
Connecting to files.directadmin.com|72.35.85.222|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 13,833 (14K) [application/x-gzip]

100%[=========================================================================================================================>] 13,833        --.--K/s             

09:48:35 (138.70 KB/s) - `./jail.tar.gz' saved [13833/13833]

File already exists:	nbsmtp-1.00.tar.gz
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
./build: line 6166: cd: nbsmtp-1.00: No such file or directory
./build: line 6167: ./configure: is a directory
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

*** The make has failed ***

I'm using CentOS 4.4 on this machine.

Should I remove whatever of the Jailed shell option that was installed and try to install again? (Not that I think that it can matter in this particular case?)

If I try to do a "clean build" from scratch, will it fail if the above error is showing/still around?

PS. I did a type-o above, it should of course say CentOS 4.6 :p

It won't help, you have a problem with coreutils. Next time it would be great if you could start a new thread, because CustomBuild FAQ is not a right place for user's problems. May I take a look at your server?

It won't help, you have a problem with coreutils. Next time it would be great if you could start a new thread, because CustomBuild FAQ is not a right place for user's problems.

I understand that, I was only following the lead of others (in this thread) - so to speak.

I feel there is a risk that the issue will be ignored with opening up a new thread.

May I take a look at your server?

Yes, I will private message you.

Hello,

Alright, I've taken a closer look over the jail portion of the build script and have sorted out a few issues. There were a few simple typos which I found, which should resolve the posts made earlier in this thread. Make sure you do a "./build update" to get the latest files if you're looking to test this feature.

Note that the jail portion of the script is still in beta.

It has been in testing for the last month in:
files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/jail/cbtest
without any reports of issues, so we moved it into the main build script.

Of course, now that it's getting more attention, more issues are being found and fixed, which is good, thanks for your feedback.

Note that this beta code should not affect anything else as long as you keep:
jailed=no
in your options.conf. So if you're not looking to test out this feature, leave it as no.

John

Hello John,

Hello,
<snip>

Thank you for fixing the issues :)

I think that this fixed the issues. Now to the next question; where can one obtain documentation on the jail-shell (and it's options), what they do, the limitations for each and every jail-option (etc)?

Last edited:
Hello,

Alright, I've taken a closer look over the jail portion of the build script and have sorted out a few issues. There were a few simple typos which I found, which should resolve the posts made earlier in this thread.
John

No, in fact it doesn't resolve my questions or concerns.

I don't have any access to DA servers and John always takes a look (tests) at the script or any "fix" before the release. Only then CustomBuild is uploaded to DA servers.

You've enhanced my points actually - there's users creating code and it's not being tested thoroughly before being released. Simple "typos" as you call them would have, or should have been fixed before it was released. We saw 3 updates within a week or so - there was no way thorough quality control could have gone into that process.

You also are failing to see or address my issue regarding the integrity of the code in custombuild. When users can modify code - and it be distributed as a forced update (./build update) - it's NOT beta - it's being forced on us as users. I understand the jail section can be set in options.conf - thats not the point.

We just want a product that works. For the last 5 years, there've been little hiccups - but they've all been readily resolved - differences in OS, minor code changes, script malfunctions, etc. None were, IMHO, as serious as this. How do we know that no other part of custombuild has been modified by an over zealous person trying to "help out" because they noticed what they perceived to be a "typo"? The integrity of the code - that's where my point is.

If Directadmin/JBMC is going to continue on this path of development and product releases, I feel a split in our relationship is inevitable. We need to hear from you, John, what your future plans are and how our nerves can be settled - and what is being done, or will be done to address our concerns. If nothing, that's fine - but we need to know so we can insure our customers stability and security - and plan for our future in the hosting market, be it with Directadmin or another control panel.

I see what you're saying.

I always always run a diff to see what was changed, nothing is ever blindly inserted or accepted. I make sure there isn't anything blaring that stands out, or things that shouldn't be where they don't belong. Small typos happen, even in production code.

The scripts were in facted tested. The testing done with jail=yes was done on a build system where things were done manually first, thus the issues slipped by me, as files already existed, etc. I also do test in the default state on one of our systems, where jail=no, and did not encounter any issues, this is the main one I'm concerned with, as it's the one we all use. Another point is that even with testing on our build systems, it doesn't cover the case of all OS's in all setup combinations, and only the real world will tell us the issues.

I apologize if these changes have scared anyone. Unless I'm mistaken, they have not affected any jail=no operations, none of the testing I did indicated so. We do apprciate your feedback on these types of things, as they will help us do them better in the future, eg: possibly leaving the beta version in testing longer than a month, before integrating it into the production code.

Regarding documentation, it will be similar to this, starting at step 3:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=90
(except it's custombuild, not customapache).
We'll add more documention, as well as an interface in DA once it's proven itself.

As usual, if you ever run into issues, you can send us an email.

John

mysqlshow: command not found

hi,
after running custumbuild - all went fine - i notized a missing command for mysql:

server:~# mysqlshow --version
-bash: mysqlshow: command not found
server:~# locate mysqlshow
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.51a-linux-i686/bin/mysqlshow
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.51a-linux-i686/man/man1/mysqlshow.1
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.51a-linux-i686/mysql-test/r/mysqlshow.result
/usr/local/mysql-5.0.51a-linux-i686/mysql-test/t/mysqlshow.test
/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.10-pc-linux-gnu-i686/bin/mysqlshow
/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.10-pc-linux-gnu-i686/man/man1/mysqlshow.1

It seems to be here but its not functional.
Thanks for help

ouch .. i`m going out now 10 minutes for thinking and drinking coffee a lot .. thank you smtalk .. :)

Hi,

To upgrade to custombuild on a system already running directadmin do I have to just follow the installation guide? Does it overwrites previous config settings ?

Thanks

Yes, just follow the guide. Only /etc/httpd/conf folder is rewritten.

Reading the above posts I want to ask is Custombuild beta or official supported version?

If I upgrade to custom build then if a new official version is out I wont be able to use it?

I am confused about the difference between DirectAdmin official version and the custombuild.

Reading the above posts I want to ask is Custombuild beta or official supported version?

CustomBuild 1.1 is stable, CustomBuild 1.2 is beta.

vagos said:
If I upgrade to custom build then if a new official version is out I wont be able to use it?

I am confused about the difference between DirectAdmin official version and the custombuild.

What official version are you talking about? CustomBuild is a DirectAdmin product and it's supported by DirectAdmin.

error

Code:
checking for MySQL support... yes
checking for specified location of the MySQL UNIX socket... no
checking for MySQL UNIX socket location... no
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for mysql_error in -lmysqlclient... no
configure: error: mysql configure failed. Please check config.log for more information.

*** There was an error while trying to configure php. Check the configure/suphp/configure.php5 file

options.conf :
Code:
Apache: 2.2.8
Dovecot: 1.0.14
exim.conf update: no
MySQL: 5.0.51a
MySQL backup: yes
PHP: 5.2.6 as CGI with mail() header patch
phpMyAdmin: 2.11.6-all-languages
ProFTPD: 1.3.1
Atmail webmail: 1.01
RoundCube webmail: 0.1.1
Run "clean" every time: yes
Show texts in bold: yes
SquirrelMail: 1.4.15
UebiMiau: no
Zend Optimizer: 3.3.3

please help me :eek:

Installed CustomBuild fine! I did some benchmarks and seems apache 2.2.28 is faster than 1.3 both for static and dynamic pages.

One question about Mysql it didn't install by default can I do that manually or there is a reason was not in build by default? Thanks

I think it would be beneficial for directadmin to have official beta testers, people who are generally unix aware and have experience with directadmin. This adds an extra layer of testing before something is put on the distribution website and will make it less likely for bugs to occur.

I also think it might be an idea if it isnt already the case to have 2 update switches, one just to download new versions of dist files such as php and apache and another one that updates the actual build script so that way new build scripts are not forced on people running the update command.

Back