Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

DirectAdmin Sales

Administrator
Staff member
We'd like to announce that we're shutting down our old licensing infrastructure. Our more advanced key-based system has been operating for months already, and we are now ready to formalize this system as the future of DirectAdmin licensing.

If you are running any of our last three releases (1.63.4 / 1.63.5 / 1.63.6) then there is nothing you need to do. If you are running an older version, please upgrade your DirectAdmin in the control panel or manually. If you are unsure of your version, you can view it in the "Licensing / Updates" section of the control panel.

If you are using an operating system that has reached end-of life long ago, there may be no 1.63.0+ binaries available to you, and the upgrade procedures will fail. Upgrading your operating system to one we support is the only solution.

Please note: 1.63.X binares are available on CentOS 6 and Debian 8.

We request that you update your DirectAdmin version by the 31st of January, 2022 to avoid any licensing errors in your panel.

Last edited:
Just curious ;)

what about those with owned license (that was available for a short term after pricing change) if somebody had not reneved his upgrade rights and he cannot upgrade DirectAdmin due to expire upgrade rights?

what about those with owned license (that was available for a short term after pricing change) if somebody had not reneved his upgrade rights and he cannot upgrade DirectAdmin due to expire upgrade rights?

We openly admitted that the product was a bad idea (encourages running old & possibly insecure versions to save money). For the few people who picked up this license type, we've offered to convert it to traditional lifetime for them (at no extra cost). (y)

They could offer a trial license automatically on the first installation of a given IP
As many other systems do.

cPanel used to, perhaps still does, activate a 15 day trial license if an IP has not had the license in the past. This is what @Marks is referring to.

That doesn't work like Marks said.
You can install whm, but not use until you have a store account, login to the store account (you will be linked from within whm) and activate the license. You can just as well ask the license up front. Not really automatic. So not really an interesting difference.
With the new licensekey installation system from DA the ip doesn't matter anymore either.

We have some servers running an outdated DA version on older Debian/Ubuntu versions in order to be able to use legacy software for sites still running on PHP < 5.6. Would there be a way to keep the control panel on these accessible after January 31?

We have some servers running an outdated DA version on older Debian/Ubuntu versions in order to be able to use legacy software for sites still running on PHP < 5.6. Would there be a way to keep the control panel on these accessible after January 31?

We are planning to shut down the system indefinitely. How long would you need to migrate to a more modern OS?

Would it be possible for you to keep it active for an extra month? I understand of course it's not possible to keep this up indefinitely just for a few legacy servers. We're in the process of migrating these but some extra time would be very helpful for us.

Would it be possible for you to keep it active for an extra month? I understand of course it's not possible to keep this up indefinitely just for a few legacy servers. We're in the process of migrating these but some extra time would be very helpful for us.

That is a reasonable request and definitely possible. We are ramping up notifications, and soon (within 24 hours) most people should see warnings right within the DA panel itself. Depending on response, we would certainly be willing to extend things a bit. If there's a lot of legacy versions by the deadline, we will definitely have some sort of solution.

Thank you for considering it. We are doing our best to get everything migrated as soon as possible.

We'd like to announce that we're shutting down our old licensing infrastructure. Our more advanced key-based system has been operating for months already, and we are now ready to formalize this system as the future of DirectAdmin licensing.

If you are running any of our last three releases (1.63.4 / 1.63.5 / 1.63.6) then there is nothing you need to do. If you are running an older version, please upgrade your DirectAdmin in the control panel or manually. If you are unsure of your version, you can view it in the "Licensing / Updates" section of the control panel.

If you are using an operating system that has reached end-of life long ago, there may be no 1.63.0+ binaries available to you, and the upgrade procedures will fail. Upgrading your operating system to one we support is the only solution.

We request that you update your DirectAdmin version by the 31st of January, 2022 to avoid any licensing errors in your panel.
Hello,
So for old Centos versions (5 or 6 ) for example manual upgrade with /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/getLicense.sh "user ID license ID" will not be available as well ? For now it works on Centos 5 .

I have old servers with CentOS 4 (huh?! yes).. and php 4.4
also few centos 5 - that already have licensing issues - I have to manually activate.
I'll need until End of March to run them,. can you at least extend this service until then so that I can finally migrate these clients?

I have old servers with CentOS 4 (huh?! yes).. and php 4.4
also few centos 5 - that already have licensing issues - I have to manually activate.
I'll need until End of March to run them,. can you at least extend this service until then so that I can finally migrate these clients?

It looks like there will be an extra month at least, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Our EOL policy gives years of notice, so the burden falls on those who choose to ignore it. Panic upgrades are part of the risk of letting something flow into EOL territory.

Feel free to open a ticket so we can get a better idea of your situation. We may have to work out some custom solutions if there is enough demand for it.

Updated an old Centos 6 system for an customer with that script , so yes its works
But will it work after 31th of Januari? you will only get a license for 1 month. so you need to rerun that script every month. But guess that stops working after the 31th when you do not upgrade DA.

Yes , it will still work but DA will not provide updates.
DA staff already answered this question, please search this forum and you will find your answer

EDIT: nevermind here is the topic :

Back