Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

I have Ubuntu 18.04 (which should be Debian 9 based)
Unfortunately the upgrade doesn't work, which means you guys stopped supporting Ubuntu at all?

Or if I upgrade my OS to Ubuntu 20.04, the DirectAmdin upgrade should work again?

Last edited:
If possible, could the old licensing infrastructure allow selected fixed client IP(s) for those legacy CL4, CL5 DA to access?

We also have few legacy on CL4 (PHP 4.4 + MySQL 4.0), CL5.

Due to MySQL 4.0 character set issue (latin1, Unicode, non-English characters), so keep there.

Probably it will fail to start DirectAdmin service, cannot access port 2222.
(i.e. Web, SMTP, POP/IMAP, database, DNS shall continue to run, but you cannot manage/adjust them via DirectAdmin panel)
I have a server for old code. php 5.3 and mysql 5.5. I don't know if I update, will it affect anything

I have a server for old code. php 5.3 and mysql 5.5. I don't know if I update, will it affect anything
I think these are available in custombuild 2.0 regardless of the OS/DA version, so you can do them on CentOS 7 or even CentOS6 an continue the usage of DA.

I would wait on an answer from DA for that. I don't think php 5.3 is still available and probably mysql 5.5 neither anymore in custombuild 2.0.
Just seen a post of somebody wanting to use MariaDB 10.2 and that wasn't possible either.
However I'm also not 100% sure.

I would wait on an answer from DA for that. I don't think php 5.3 is still available and probably mysql 5.5 neither anymore in custombuild 2.0.
Just seen a post of somebody wanting to use MariaDB 10.2 and that wasn't possible either.
However I'm also not 100% sure.
Yes I’m having the same issue. I have some old sites running on a old server with php 5.3. Already tried to get older php version running on a new server but doesn’t seem easy to do

Yes I’m having the same issue. I have some old sites running on a old server with php 5.3. Already tried to get older php version running on a new server but doesn’t seem easy to do
I was able to run CentOS 6 with PHP 5.2.17 and MySQL 5.1
Compiled onLinux 64-bit
Compile DateDec 31 2021, 11:58:02
Server Version1.63.4
Current Available Version1.63.4

I know its not an ideal OS to continue to run on, but at least its giving my customers a little more time to prepare for the migration.

Like this,. I'm sure it can be done with later PHP versions.

Were you able to update DA on CentOS 6 by changing the licence from CentOS 6 to Linux 64-bit? Could this not have unforseen consequences as recent versions of DA don't support CentOS 6 anymore?

1642968320386.png
I hope this is still supported for more time.
It says CentOS6.
I don't need to update the DA itself,. just keep it active as it is will be fine until we retire these servers.

View attachment 5144
I hope this is still supported for more time.
It says CentOS6.
I don't need to update the DA itself,. just keep it active as it is will be fine until we retire these servers.
Seems like you are right, I was able to update a Debian 8 server to the latest DA version by changing the license from Debian 8 to this one.

Also got some CentOS 5 boxes with old MySQL/PHP versions needed for scripts, some security tweaks like modsecurity, csf etc and they are working perfectly fine.
I would be very grateful if there will be a way to keep Directadmin running on them...

@wtptrs @SupermanInNY Yes, versions like CentOS 6 and Debian 8 have become EOL under our policy, but only recently. So there is DA binaries modern enough to support the new licensing system. :)

@pat0 Feel free to open a ticket. There's some people who say they've invested major resources into a specific configuration, and they simply cannot upgrade. We might be able to offer a solution.

@wtptrs @SupermanInNY Yes, versions like CentOS 6 and Debian 8 have become EOL under our policy, but only recently. So there is DA binaries modern enough to support the new licensing system. :)

@pat0 Feel free to open a ticket. There's some people who say they've invested major resources into a specific configuration, and they simply cannot upgrade. We might be able to offer a solution.

I got this to work on one server (change license from Debian 8 to Linux 64-bit glibc 2.12+, manually update DA, run updateLicense.sh script) where the 'compiled on' license now says 'Linux 64-bit' and everything works fine.

On another Debian 8 server I tried this on the 'compiled on' license keeps saying 'CentOS 6' and I'm unable to start Directadmin due to a license error. Overriding my OS to Debian 8 and updating reverts Directadmin back to version 1.62 which is too old for the new licensing system. Is there any way to force the 'compiled on' license to 'Linux 64-bit'?

I also have some old Debian 8 servers with DA which are actually just online still while some clients sort out their last migrations. I would hate to be forced to dist-upgrade these, or hack around like discussed above to get a newer version than 1.62.x. Yet I am forced to do something as they won't be able to complete the last migrations without control panel.

Out of the box suggestion: why not allow us to consciously switch to an unportioned licenses for EOL operating systems? It would solve everyone's problem, and if the server is dist-upgraded after all it would automatically revert to portioned licenses anyway.

update: it was actually trivial to update all to 1.63.5 using the Linux 64-bit version so my problem is solved. Still think the above is a good idea :)

Last edited:
I have a Debian 8 Custombuild 2.0 server with DirectAdmin 1.62.0 running.
In the DA GUI under Licensing/Updates it says Current Available Version 1.634000
I've tried to Update DirectAdmin but I get the message:
'This OS is now End-Of-Life and no further updates are availble. The automated updater will no longer accept request after Wed Sep 8 2021 (manual attempts can be done with https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29) but may not do anything.'

I was busy to migrate to a new server, but due to some issues not ready yet.

Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks.

Will the solution Omines used works for me as well? (update: it was actually trivial to update all to 1.63.5 using the Linux 64-bit version so my problem is solved.)

I have a Debian 8 Custombuild 2.0 server with DirectAdmin 1.62.0 running.
In the DA GUI under Licensing/Updates it says Current Available Version 1.634000
I've tried to Update DirectAdmin but I get the message:
'This OS is now End-Of-Life and no further updates are availble. The automated updater will no longer accept request after Wed Sep 8 2021 (manual attempts can be done with https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29) but may not do anything.'

I was busy to migrate to a new server, but due to some issues not ready yet.

Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks.

Will the solution Omines used works for me as well? (update: it was actually trivial to update all to 1.63.5 using the Linux 64-bit version so my problem is solved.)

Could you please list the steps you performed to do this? I'm having issues trying this on some servers.

Back