Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

I have a Debian 8 Custombuild 2.0 server with DirectAdmin 1.62.0 running.
In the DA GUI under Licensing/Updates it says Current Available Version 1.634000
I've tried to Update DirectAdmin but I get the message:
'This OS is now End-Of-Life and no further updates are availble. The automated updater will no longer accept request after Wed Sep 8 2021 (manual attempts can be done with https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29) but may not do anything.'

I was busy to migrate to a new server, but due to some issues not ready yet.

Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks.

Will the solution Omines used works for me as well? (update: it was actually trivial to update all to 1.63.5 using the Linux 64-bit version so my problem is solved.)

Could you please list the steps you performed to get this to work?

Could you please list the steps you performed to do this? I'm having issues trying this on some servers.

I have a Debian 8 Custombuild 2.0 server with DirectAdmin 1.62.0 running.
In the DA GUI under Licensing/Updates it says Current Available Version 1.634000
I've tried to Update DirectAdmin but I get the message:
'This OS is now End-Of-Life and no further updates are availble. The automated updater will no longer accept request after Wed Sep 8 2021 (manual attempts can be done with https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29) but may not do anything.'

I was busy to migrate to a new server, but due to some issues not ready yet.

Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks.

Will the solution Omines used works for me as well? (update: it was actually trivial to update all to 1.63.5 using the Linux 64-bit version so my problem is solved.)
Could you please list the steps you performed to do this? I'm having issues trying this on some servers.
Sorry for the confusion...I was referring to the solution of Omines . I am also interested in the steps Omines has taken (post #38).

Could you please list the steps you performed to get this to work?
Go to your Directadmin license panel and change the OS to "Linux 64 bit" or when you using Datacenter license claim it at your provider

Go to your Directadmin license panel and change the OS to "Linux 64 bit" or when you using Datacenter license claim it at your provider

Yeah that's what I tried but on the License panel it's showing 'Compiled on CentOS 6' when I update DA and DA won't start because of a license error.

Yes the license I'm setting in the client panel is the Linux 64-bit glibc 2.12+ one. Then I try to do a manual DA upgrade on my Debian 8 server but after the upgrade it shows 'Compiled on Centos 6' in my DA server license section and Directadmin won't start anymore until I revert back to the Debian 8 license and manually install the older Directadmin version (1.62.0).

Did you try manual update ?

Code:
CHANNEL=current
OS_SLUG=linux_amd64
COMMIT=$(dig +short -t txt "$CHANNEL-version.directadmin.com" | sed 's|.*commit=\([0-9a-f]*\).*|\1|')      
FILE="directadmin_${COMMIT}_${OS_SLUG}.tar.gz"      
curl --location --progress-bar --connect-timeout 10 "https://download.directadmin.com/${FILE}" --output "/root/${FILE}" 
tar xzf "/root/${FILE}" -C /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin
/usr/local/directadmin/directadmin p || true
/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/update.sh
echo 'action=directadmin&value=restart' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue

Code:
CHANNEL=current
OS_SLUG=linux_amd64
COMMIT=$(dig +short -t txt "$CHANNEL-version.directadmin.com" | sed 's|.*commit=\([0-9a-f]*\).*|\1|')     
curl --location --progress-bar --connect-timeout 10 "https://download.directadmin.com/${FILE}" --output "/root/${FILE}"
echo 'action=directadmin&value=restart' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
Tested this on several servers, this works. Thanks again!

Code:
CHANNEL=current
OS_SLUG=linux_amd64
This script did not work on my server. No output after run. Nothing seemed to happen. Then ran script /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/getDA.sh with option current. Output "Update Successful". After restart DirectAdmin now version 1.63.5 running. Good luck everyone updating!

This script did not work on my server. No output after run. Nothing seemed to happen. Then ran script /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/getDA.sh with option current. Output "Update Successful". After restart DirectAdmin now version 1.63.5 running. Good luck everyone updating!
The script didn't work because I made a typo on line 7. The script has set the operating system type. That's the trick I think. Script getDA.sh with option current was therefore successful. Thanks!

We were notified by an automated email message from Directadmin, on January 19th, that the system will stop working on January 31st. Aren't those few days ridiculously short notice? Why can't this be end of the year at least, some more reasonable heads-up, please?

Our EOL policy gives years of notice. :) Technically speaking, the moment you keep running something after EOL, you are on your own. The fact we are giving extra notice (account portal, forum, in-panel) is a further courtesy.

For 99% of people, this is just a one-click thing. Even CentOS 6 and Debian 8 can use our new licensing system, because there are modern enough DA binaries available. We wouldn't extend the deadline to the end of a year, just for something so simple.

I always interpreted the EOL policy as not having any further support or updates at some point in time. And sometimes you just have some legacy stuff that takes its time to be able to move to a recent OS version, it's a manageable risk for us, and we can support the little legacy stuff we have on the older OS. We know we're on our own here. Your documentation seems to support this interpretation, quoting from https://docs.directadmin.com/operation-system-level/os-general/general.html: "To its right is the date that we will no longer support that OS.".

I'm fine not having the support but I never interpreted the EOL policy as you're going to forcefully shutdown DA at that date.

And sure it may be a simple update, you still want to plan it with a few weeks of margin at a convenient time. Now you made it into an emergency update.

Not sure about the others here, but at least I don't open the directadmin account portal every month, nor the forum. And apparently I must have missed earlier messages in the DA panel on the legacy server, only recently noticed something was up.

Anyway, we're working on it now, fingers crossed it goes smooth while doing this in a hurry.

What operating system(s) are you running? For most people this is as simple as going into the admin panel licensing/updates and getting the latest DA version.

@DirectAdmin Sales we were able to fix our Debian 8 servers which cannot easily be upgraded and are in the process of migrating some older Ubuntu 12.04 servers. I was wondering if the 'Linux 64-bit (glibc2.12+)' can be used for this OS, just so we're not dependant on any deadlines for our migrations? The license says 'Ubuntu 14.04+' but I tested it on a Ubuntu 12.04 server with glibc > 2.12, upgraded DA to the latest version and I don't notice any issues.

@wtptrs -- yes, Debian 8 users are fine. That glibc2.12+ version will get you a DA binary modern enough to use our new licensing system.

@DirectAdmin Sales Ubuntu 12.04 (=Debian 7) with glibc2.12+ as well? No worries of course if it's not, we'll get them migrated. Just would be nice to have some extra confirmation.

Debian 7 is too old so I would suggest forcing a license update ASAP to at least give yourself an extra month of time.

So we are facing an issue on multiple directadmin servers probably due to this change.
As of today we are getting the following message when we try to login to directadmin:

"

License check failure See the Debug Guide

Reason: transient licence check failure: too many requests, try again later
Current Server Time: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:01:09 CET
"

Servers are Debian 10
Today updated to the latest stable directadmin version via CLI, worked fine
Manually did a getLicense the old way and the new way using the key and that was a "Success!!" then restarted directadmin
Also tried resetting the key in the directadmin portal and re-getting the license

Basically we tried everything we can think of but we keep ketting the same error message and i'm having a feeling we are not alone since this hits multiple directadmin servers we have...
Is the license server overloaded or something?

Back