R.I.P. CentOS ?

Right but why choose one big for profit company over another. I did read their pitch I like some of the features. Seems simple to convert.

I think FreeBSD or Debian is a better choice. If you want to stay away from big corp influence. The only issue with FreeBSD is not many use it here with DA. So DA is thinking of dropping support for it. Now maybe they will change their mind.

What will be interesting is what will cPanel and others do. Since they only support RH or centos. I am so glad DA did not switch to just one OS.

This could lead to another influx of Panel refugees to DA....

I'm also glad that DA supports more than 1 OS.

They have made an official announcement they will focus on Ubuntu LTS:
I think that two are my choices now :
1. Freebsd
2. rockylinux.org

What about Debian ? DA supports Debian and even the alpha Debian 11 from the system requirement page. I'm moving to Debian now (pray for my safety from mystery bug).

Last edited:
What about Debian ? DA supports Debian and even the alpha Debian 11 from the system requirement page. I'm moving to Debian now (pray for my safety from mystery bug).
I'd move to debian for new installs too, Hope it goes well for you maxi32 :)

I think that two are my choices now :
1. Freebsd
2. rockylinux.org
See this post about FreeBSD

I'm also glad that DA supports more than 1 OS.

They have made an official announcement they will focus on Ubuntu LTS:

Debian 10 runs well. I have been running it for 3 months. No issues. Standard build.

This link is

CentOS 8 End-of-Life Announcement​

blog cpanel but if one find the from centos themselves please.

While official announcements makes more sense for me.

So this one ! ;)
The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of a current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Corporations are by law beholden to their shareholders, NOT their customers, as such, this might very well be just one step towards monetizing a free product down the road. It of course will be cheaper than RHL, but almost anything is cheaper than RHL!

ug I saw this earlier. luckily my installs are just me messign around and no customers affected so I can switch around if needed

CentOS Stream should have no issues with DA. Oracle Linux 8 should have no issues as well :) It's easy to convert CentOS8 to either of these. In addition to this - RHEL8 and CloudLinux8 are supported as well.
Hi
I use DA - centos 8 and i would like to upgrade to centos stream

Converting from CentOS Linux to CentOS Stream​

root@centos-linux# dnf install centos-release-stream

root@centos-linux# dnf swap centos-{linux,stream}-repos

root@centos-linux# dnf distro-sync

root@centos-stream# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Stream release 8

yum update

reboot

Has anyone tested this information?

Thank you

No-cost RHEL for small production workloads​

While CentOS Linux provided a no-cost Linux distribution, no-cost RHEL also exists today through the Red Hat Developer program. The program’s terms formerly limited its use to single-machine developers. We recognized this was a challenging limitation.

We’re addressing this by expanding the terms of the Red Hat Developer program so that the Individual Developer subscription for RHEL can be used in production for up to 16 systems. That’s exactly what it sounds like: for small production use cases, this is no-cost, self-supported RHEL.

We’re making CentOS Stream the collaboration hub for RHEL, with the landscape looking like this:

Fedora Linux is the place for major new operating system innovations, thoughts, and ideas - essentially, this is where the next major version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux is born.

CentOS Stream is the continuously delivered platform that becomes the next minor version of RHEL.

RHEL is the intelligent operating system for production workloads, used in nearly every industry in the world, from cloud-scale deployments in mission-critical data centers and localized server rooms to public clouds and out to far-flung edges of enterprise networks.

We aren’t done with this work. We want to hear from you, whether or not your needs fall into one of the use cases described here.
Please contact us at [email protected]. This email address goes directly to the team developing these programs. We’ve heard you -- and will continue to listen to your comments and suggestions.

We’re addressing this by expanding the terms of the Red Hat Developer program so that the Individual Developer subscription for RHEL can be used in production for up to 16 systems. That’s exactly what it sounds like: for small production use cases, this is no-cost, self-supported RHEL.
Do I understand this correctly. Can hosting company's now use RHEL for free if they do not use it on more than 16 machines?

Need to think about those VPS/VM/dedicated server guest OS instance ...
Still need an OS... (vzlinux8 / AlmaLinux / CentOS 8 Stream)

Oh I thought they ment main OS on a dedicated server that RHEL would be free. I'm not native English. Oke so they don't mean us.
Well then it will be Centos 8 stream or something else.

Do I understand this correctly. Can hosting company's now use RHEL for free if they do not use it on more than 16 machines?
If you read the 3 options they talk about.

I think they did had a kind of 'backfire" after deciding to go to centos stream only ;)

Meaning losing lot of users / admin and technical guys, which also means les testing in real live and more risk missing some faults . bugs if installed base is a lot smaller.

Wen offering "developers"/ small production still complete stuff, the installed base shoudl be lot more also the testing in several combinations, while if smaller or developers doesn't have such option they go away but also then while testing is done on other OS the paying custommers for which developers ...

So losing in future more then "testers" live also custommers don't think anymore to switch from CENTOS to paid alsmost same OS RHEL, while their base OS is not anymore CENTOS.

Sorry hope you understand my points of view. Which are:
Customer base in future in danger, and less testing on faults and bugs..

i.e. we have some alternative at least:
RHEL (free for 16 installation), Oracle Linux , AlmaLinux (coming) , Rocky (coming), CentOS 8 Stream, CloudLinux (commercial).

Not sure how DirectAdmin intention.

i.e. we have some alternative at least:
RHEL (free for 16 installation), Oracle Linux , AlmaLinux (coming) , Rocky (coming), CentOS 8 Stream, CloudLinux (commercial).

Not sure how DirectAdmin intention.
I think al this should go in new SUB Forum CENTOS8 Alternativs / successors, with some sticky parts.

+1 to have an separate (sub)forum for this new "Centos replacements"

It's still a little premature to see. We need to see if any of the forks decide to work together. It's never good when we have 4 things of the same flavor. One of them will eventually fold. I'm pretty sure hosting companies will just install RHEL and let you assign the license yourself to work around the 16 machines limit.

Back