R.I.P. CentOS ?

Oh.... i just wanted to setup a new server with CentOS8. Any suggestions what would be the best to take now at moment?

Really annoying, because i also had been setting up middle of last year a server with CentOS8... :-/

GReets

We are all annoyed. Your in good company.

CentOS 7
Debian 10 , 9
Some say Ubuntu (not sure which version)
FreeBSD 12.1 12.2

Thanks for the infos.

Do you think that the forks like almalinux or rockylinux could be a solution? When they are stabel and released?

Greets

Thanks for the infos.

Do you think that the forks like almalinux or rockylinux could be a solution? When they are stabel and released?

Greets
I can only assume they will be. However no one really has crystal ball in IT.

Soo, I am going to be using AlmaLinux fairly soon. Can't wait! If the same cgroups additive is applicable I'll be sure to do a release of this for DirectAdmin.

Maybe the question is stupid, but: When CentOS8 this year is running End of Lifetime, would a switch to Cloudlinux solve the problem?

Maybe the question is stupid, but: When CentOS8 this year is running End of Lifetime, would a switch to Cloudlinux solve the problem?

Yes. CloudLinux is based on CentOS/RHEL but is maintained seperately and it's continuation is included within the CloudLinux licensing.

The cgroups plugin may negate CloudLinux, though, so switching to AlmaLinux would make *more * sense, with this plugin. I do intend to take a proper look at this option, hopefully have something ready to test in production ASAP. (4-8 weeks)

A bit of background, CloudLinux modified the RHEL/CentOS kernel with the end result of being able to control per-user resource allocation. Someone on here cited the cgroups option as being the same *and* have had it working, so looking to get something out there that can be a serious alternative.

For further reading see here https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/tstemd-cgroups-cpu-ram-io-tasks-made-easy.62353/

Don't forget RockyLinux its just 48 hours away from RC and when the time comes it looks like a CentOS install can be converted by just running something like

sudo dnf install ROCKY_RELEASE_RPM_URL
sudo dnf distro-sync

We hear more about AlmaLinux because we are in the web hosts, but I think RockyLinux is really positioning itself to never get itself in the CentOS position again...

Yes, RockyLinux is formidable also. I chose Alma as they rolled out early(ish) and have CloudLinux backing. Gotta respect the fact that they did do it quicker than anticipated. But yeah, Alma/Rocky on a very similar par.

Has DirectAdmin decided which one they will initially develop on?

@floyd
RockyLinux still Release Candidate, I think, DA still wait for full release, and decide after that
but in I think DA will use Alma in future, because It's product from CloudLinux Staff / Partnership.

@floyd
RockyLinux still Release Candidate, I think, DA still wait for full release, and decide after that
but in I think DA will use Alma in future, because It's product from CloudLinux Staff / Partnership.
wrong assumption and the whole propack thingo DA is working on kind of y'know rules out the need for cloudlinux

Back