Release: JTbox (Jon's Toolbox)

I have DirectAdmin 1.24.3 according to the admin tools system information screen. So I believe that to be the latest when I look at the main directadmin webpage.

Are you refering to "Admin level", admin tools, Run System Backup? or to "Reseller level" reseller tools, manage user backups?

Both areas are very confusing to be since I am fairly new to DA. It seems to me that a simple "backup all user data" button would do just fine and ask you where you would like to put it.

I see the other areas kinda hint at that but site-helper area for admins has no info that I can find that explains how to backup the server and that it includes the user data. The user area of site-helper is very good, and the users are not having any problems.

I want to make sure that I have all the data backup up. From the way I see it, right now I have to go into each of their accounts and get the files. Not very efficient.

If there is another way then by all means please tell me. I did not see one and that is why I thought that it would be a nice tool.

Go to the reseller section and then User Backups. You can specify that you want to backup all users and tell it to FTP the backups to any location of your choosing.

The order form is back online finally. :D

Onno,
Yep, completion of the backend checks is definately higher up in the priority list at the moment. They are redundant since an potential problems are looked for in the frontend before the task is submitted, but just in case...
What also needs to be done is more error reporting functions aswell to alert you when there is a problem, what it was, and possible solutions to fix the problem.
This has been done fairly well in the move domain tool, but the others haven't been completed yet.

Tauvo,
Do you have any specific implementation ideas regarding the secondary hard drive tool? (http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9206)
Feel free to PM me.

I'll look into the server-to-server transfer tool. One concern I can imagine is doing it in such a way that it doesn't require JTbox to be installed on both servers in order to do the transfer.
Hopefully I can make use of some of the existing functions in DA to accomplish this.

I've just published v2.0.0-RC1

There have been no major changes within the tool functions themselves, however JTbox itself has been rewritten with a more modular design in mind.
Each tool can now be managed seperately, much in the way DirectAdmin's plugin system works.
This will allow greater pricing flexibility aswell as easier maintenance.

New pricing will be announced within two weeks aswell as a new order form.

Notes
- Upgrading to v2 from v1 will not be possible. You will need delete v1 and install v2 using the new download url:
http://www.mark87.com/directadmin/plugins/jtbox/jtbox.tar.gz

- v1 will still be available until the 2.0.0-final release using http://www.mark87.com/directadmin/plugins/jtbox.tar.gz

- You current license should work for v1 and the included 4 modules of v2
Contact me if you run into any trouble with this.

- The Module Management interface available in the configuration module is not complete yet, however modules can be added and deleted manually without affecting other modules/tools

Changelog
- FreeBSD bug fixes
- New ioncube loaders bundled
- php.ini installation of ioncube
- Email notification subject now prints properly
- Additional headers sent with email
- New modular design
- Shared sockets class updated
- Fixed bug in ticket creation when the ticket number was under 100
- Module specific changelogs are no longer stored on this page
- Basic error logging

Last edited:
I bought and used this script yesterday

This is a great addition to DA

Thanks a lot jmstacey and pls make more similar scripts and more additions to JTbox.

This rocks

Hey folks!
I have just uploaded the 2nd release candidate of JTbox
This version includes a new api call to support live execution of scripts needing elevated privilages such as the new Log Viewer and Configuration Modules.

Along with this update, the Configuration module has been updated to v1.0.1 which now includes a fully functional module management page.

I have also released the much anticipated Log Viewer module which will replace the current standalone version.
If you have an existing license please send an email to [email protected] with your name and license number and I'll send you information on your replacement license compatible with JTbox.

Note: The configuration and log viewer modules require JTbox v2.0.0-RC2 in order to function properly.

You can upgrade JTbox through the plugin management page on the the admin level of DirectAdmin.
My original post has been modified with installation and upgrade instructions for JTbox and it's modules.

Hi,

I've just upgraded to JTBox 2.0.0-RC2 but can't find the LogViewer anywhere. Where should I look for it?

Regards,
Onno

Took me a while to find out where module management was located, but got it :)

Looking good, very nice job.

damn I got this

Error unpacking /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/jtbox/plugin.tar.gz : Error restoring file /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/jtbox/plugin.tar.gz : plugin.tar.gz: Refusing to overwrite archive : tar returned error code 256

will send you an email soon.

I've released JTbox 2.0.0-Final and taking it out of Release candidate status. This version contains a few tweaks to error reporting.

The Move Domain module has been updated aswell to fix a bug where it said a domain was moved successfully but really never was. (v1.0.0b)

Log Viewer Tip
If the Log File drop down box is empty:
1. Reinstall the module
- OR -
2. Manually copy the log_viewer.conf file to the correct directory by executing the following commands lines through ssh as root:
Code:
cp /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/jtbox/modules/log_viewer/scripts/log_viewer.conf /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/jtbox/data

A free module which I am contemplating is "Emergency console emulator".
Essentially, this module would allow you to run commands as root with the output returned on the screen ready for another command input.

Here are a couple of examples when such a utility would be a life-saver:
1. Root password is forgotten
2. SSH service can't be started through DirectAdmin.

Because of DirectAdmin's environment I don't think it could be anything fancy with java so it would be much slower than regular shell, but it's better than being locked out of your server completely.

I'd like to hear your feedback on such a module and if you would find it useful.

P.S. - I am working on getting the whole billing infrastructure working like it should. My goal is for JTbox licenses to be free, just requiring a simple registration (name etc). and only charging for individual modules as needed. This structure will allow JTbox to run with free modules for... free, such as the "Emergency console emulator" :D

As always I look forward to your feedback, suggestions, and even criticism (just not to much :p ).

Last edited:
While I understand your concept - and am aware that the concept behind this latest plugin could be done at any time by someone with advanced "knowledge" (such as yourself) - I think adding it to a plugin poses a significant security issue.

Just my 2c

hostpc.com said:
I think adding it to a plugin poses a significant security issue.

True, and as you mentioned, once somebody got admin access to the server they could install a plugin of their own that accomplished the same thing.

Thankfully, I haven't heard any cases of DirectAdmin's security being breached itself. Eitherway, just having a plugin system could be considered a security risk.

I'm open to any suggestions. I thought about implementing a password system (you set a backup root password which you have to enter to make use of the module), but that kind of defeats the purpose.

I agree on the security aspect but since it will be a module then its a down to your own choice if you add the module or not.

Why not just setup ssh to use key-based authentication for ssh for admin and then for root.

That way you from your system wouldn't need either password, but no one else could log in that way.

That's a lot more secure than any password based workaround to eliminate the need for the root password.

Jeff

In the mean time while I consider the implications of such a plugin.....
I'll begin working on a minor module with functionality to update Squirrelmail and phpMyAdmin.

I'm considering an interface to customapache, however I'll need to see how well it performs before I release a beta.

I'm also looking into having modules for the user and reseller levels appear as if they were individual plugins instead of part of JTbox which will improve the interface, and hopefully clear up confusion with users.

A Hotlink Protection module was on the back burner (got tied up with school), however with fusionictnl's release, I have scratched the module.

*Important* Pricing has been changed. Registration for JTbox licenses is now free and modules(addons) can now be added individually as desired.
This will allow upcomming free modules.

I haven't gotten any bug reports for existing modules in awhile so things seem to be settling down :)

I'm working on getting some web pages up which describe what each module does aswell as screenshots, usage instructions, FAQ, details on error #'s, etc.

jmstacey,

Am I correct that if we purchase a feature/module now but haven't purchased the others we can buy more at anytime for our existing installation correct?

Correct :)

When logged into the client area, view details for a license and there will be a link to take you to the addon order form which was presented when you first registered. Purchases through that form will add the modules to the license you were viewing.

Last edited:
Back