Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

It is cruel to pull the rug from under people without having a preceding notification or license bump a couple months in advance to make ensure that people are notified.
It's cruel not to wash your rug for almost 10 years. It looks nasty.

It's cruel not to wash your rug for almost 10 years.
First Welcome to the forum..

Also please be critical in a kind way. We try to always be nice here. This isn't some of the other IT Web Forums where everyone is snarky or mean to each other. You hopefully have noticed this if you have been lurking since 2019.

First Welcome to the forum..

Also please be critical in a kind way. We try to always be nice here. This isn't some of the other IT Web Forums where everyone is snarky or mean to each other. You hopefully have noticed this if you have been lurking since 2019.
Well I know about DA before '19 and joined just after cPanel hiked their price. I have seen those forums but I do not push nice guys and can't resist pushing unacceptable behaviour from others. But I guess second one is not allowed here. I am off to Mars.

Well I know about DA before '19 and joined just after cPanel hiked their price.
Yep a lot of new people have moved over.
unacceptable behavior from others.
If you mean people that dont maintain their systems. I get it. As you can tell from my post I don't like it either.
and can't resist pushing
Just be nice. The comment does not really provide helpful information it just pushing buttons.
But I guess second one is not allowed here.
Correct. We are here to help each other.

Last edited:
Eww. WTF people running RHEL4!
Agree, best I can tell is you can buy extended support for Centos 6 / RedHat 6. Version 4 hasn't received a maintenance update in over a decade. I'd worry less about people complaining their DA license is showing as expired and more about them running on insecure servers.

I might be selfish, but I don't want to pay DA to support operating systems that shouldn't even be in production - because that's what happens. The more time DA resources waste supporting these EOL systems, the less time they spend on developing new features for supported operating systems.

Would it not have been expected from DA to send an email to all customers explaining the change and what has to be done ?
(I have not received any notice, and I don't think it is normal to have to visit the forum for such changes).

Apart from this, we run up to date versions (1.63.6) and OS (Cloulinux 7) and we got a licence suspended following a network maintainance.
We had many licence errors since DA started "improving" the licence management.. never had any in the last 15 years.
It is also sneaky because there is no notification of the suspension.

Could DirectAdmin implement some kind of notification when a licence is suspended ?

Also on a global view is all the hassle generated by this worth it ?
Were there so many poeple cheating the licences by updating the licence from server to server ?

Were there so many people cheating the licenses
Yes. multiple thousands..
OS (Cloulinux 7) and we got a licence suspended
Seems to be related to any version of RH7 or its clones. You are the 4th or 5th person reporting.
Could DirectAdmin implement some kind of notification when a licence is suspended ?
I agree and think they should.
Would it not have been expected from DA to send an email to all customers explaining the change and what has to be done ?
I think so. I dont think they have ever sent me a email like this though.
the hassle generated
What hassle? Who was hassled?

What hassle? Who was hassled?
We are being hassled by our customers facing the suspended licence message.
We are being hassled by having to solve these unfounded suspensions many times.

One more time today :
DA Version : 1.63.4

How can we get the reason for which the licence was suspended ?

Edit : had to use another LID to get it valid again..

Last edited:
Its odd to me that people who are running Centos 7.x have problems.

The main problem is not Centos 7 (which is still supported) but the lack of doing the DA updates on time I think.
DA announced months ago that the license system will be updated and > 1.63.4 not should have any problems but still see lot of threads with this problem.

We have several Centos 7.8 boxes which don't had this problem,
Is this because we are lucky ? or maybe because we are always updating DA when an update is available ?

"If you are running any of our last three releases (1.63.4 / 1.63.5 / 1.63.6) then there is nothing you need to do"
But we also had the issue on a Centos 7.8 / 1.63.6 recently..

What type of licence are you on ? (we run a fleet of old bulk one time licences).

Its odd to me that people who are running Centos 7.x have problems.
Yeah I have been noticing it too. Not sure why. Maybe they have some custom config. All my servers are on Debian 11 now. No issues from the start.

I have no clue. We also got 2 servers running Centos 7 without any licensing issues. However, we do keep them up to date.

Wonder if it could be related to this.. https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/1-63-5-to-1-63-8-refuses-to-update.65914/post-345126
This caught my eye "also found an old tar file in /usr/local/directadmin folder named update.tar.gz - very old"

Maybe no one runs
./build clean ?

Seems like it should clean any old update.tar.gz files?

I assue one of these would clean it up
  • clean - execute "./build clean" every time. Possible values: yes/no (default: yes).
  • clean_old_tarballs - execute "./build clean_old_tarballs" every time. Possible values: yes/no (default: yes).

I hate to be this guy.... but I am, and I'm sorry. I've been behind on updating things and I rarely have to log in to do anything in DA.... later this year I have planned to replace my server as well as migrate to VMs with more up to date OS installs. DirectAdmin has been on the back burner until this time until I tried to log in today and got a message saying my license was expired. I didn't realize any of this was going on so I sent a quick email to the support email (which now I feel bad about) but I'm kind of stuck. My DA install is on a live server -- fortunately all services seem to still be running ok (and I'm really hoping that remains the case and that an expiration only means I can't adjust things in the control panel) but I'm not sure what steps to take. The installation is on a Debian 7 OS and I believe I'm currently at DirectAdmin level 1.58.2..... I know that this OS is no longer supported by DA but I didn't see the need in creating potential headaches now when I'd be migrating later this year.

So, my question is, what are my options? I wish that I had got an email or some other notification that this was happening so I could have acted sooner but I'm here now and I'm not sure what to do. Since I can't log in to my DA panel it's going to make things difficult, if not impossible, to migrate to a new installation and I'm not sure what to do in the mean time. I'm a little nervous about doing a dist-upgrade -- but even if I were to go that route would I even be able to update my DA version after the OS is upgraded since the installation sees it's self as being expired?

Please save all the lectures..... I know.... and it was already in the plans. I'm just really not sure what to do right now and I'd appreciate any advice.

The installation is on a Debian 7 OS
With Debian you not at risk to much. You just need to update the OS to version 8.
Don't go from 7 to 11 it wont turn out good.. go one version at a time.

This post shows what to do to go from Debian 10 to 11. The steps are the same.
Snapshot the box first

Once you get to Debian 8
You can do the Manual DA upgrade.

@bobkmertz
Your sed command would be Wheezy to Jessie
sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

Please double check

Also if you need more help make a separate post.

Welcome to the forum. Just to help catch you up.

Back