Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

lots of people just change this to disabled or keep it disabled so no direct root access is allowed,
True, all our server has root login disabled by default but this is done AFTER all is checked on the server.
We have Ubuntu / Centos / Almalinux servers but none of them had root disabled by default, maybe some custom OS templates in use ?

maybe some custom OS templates in use ?
Nope. Next to previous Debian and Ubuntu installations I did a longer time ago, I just recently did a fresh Debian 11 install, iso downloaded from Debian itself and sshd had a line "PermitRootLogin prohibit-password" which means you can not connect via SSH as root with a password.

Never encountered this with RedHat or Centos. Did not try a really fresh Alma yet, but probably that won't have this either.

Last edited:
Need help with updating license file.
Have directadmin license for centos 5 64-bit.
There are no more updates for centos for a long time, so I can't update OS and have some problems with ssl.
Last time
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./getLicense.sh clientid licenseid
service directadmin restart
works perfectly.
on my other server (with centos 8.0)
method with manual installation
echo 'Provided license key should go here' > /usr/local/directadmin/conf/license.key
chmod 0600 /usr/local/directadmin/conf/license.key
systemctl restart directadmin
service directadmin restart

work perfectly too.

But now I got expired license on my server with centos 5.0 again.
First method doesn't help anymore, license still expired.
Second method even worse, directadmin just doesn't start at all (but after applying first method it starts again)

I have tried
wget -O setup.sh directadmin.com/setup.sh
chmod 755 setup.sh
./setup.sh licensekey
But it gives error
Downloading DirectAdmin distribution package directadmin_1487dffa0a55c1685feb2ca851996f48c2faa6d5_linux_amd64.tar.gz...

curl: (35) error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure

curl: (35) error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure

How to avoid ssl errors? I can't update OS with new ssl, since centos 5 no more supported.
I can't move my sites to new server, since directadmin license doesn't work (expired) and I can't make backup.
Seems like I am stuck.
Any solutions for my problem?

you can run backup from SSH and move websites to new server with fresh OS, at least you can use old backups when it was working and then additionaly rsync homedirs and make fresh mysqldump all databases from ssh

you can run backup from SSH and move websites to new server with fresh OS, at least you can use old backups when it was working and then additionaly rsync homedirs and make fresh mysqldump all databases from ssh
Not ready for it right now, moving to new server requires changing IPs of client's sites, which is not very easy and anyway will take a time.
I would prefer some workaround with directadmin on old server asap.

Not ready for it right now, moving to new server requires changing IPs of client's sites, which is not very easy and anyway will take a time.
I would prefer some workaround with directadmin on old server asap.
I'm sorry but centos 5 EOL 5 years ago, it's enough time to move all projects. maybe DA support will help you, maybe some exception for your IP for few weeks to move your websites. Or you can make backups move to new machine and then swap IPs, so new server will be with same IP.

Not sure if I explained it correctly, but I don't need extending my license through exception or something. It's unlimited license and all I need is to some solution to update license file w/o ssl or through old protocol. Updating goes through setup.sh, which looks like regular bash file, so may be some settings for ssl or update script or something like this.

I need is to some solution to update license file w/o ssl or through old protocol.
Have directadmin license for centos 5 64-bit.
Thats the point you cant CentOS 5 is to old now due to the license system. You have to back it all up and rebuild.

You can use this post to backup from ssh

Last edited:
Based on customers asking tech questions and having anonymous forum posters ridicule them instead of answer the question, it seems like DirectAdmin can't figure out which way is up. Same thing happens to me every time I ask a tech support question I get some guy who doesn't know the answer, who's been using DirectAdmin for less time than I have, telling me that he doesn't really know the answer to my question, but I should shut up... ha ha Don't ever tell me that mass psychosis isn't real. If you lock customers out of their own software that they already paid a lifetime license for, and then gave up and paid monthly for, then did what you said and upgraded everything, then the software still doesn't work... then you are done for as a company. I repeat done for.

Why all this hostility? You cross-post in a bunch of threads with nothing but complaints and yet you expect people to help you in their free time? It doesn't work like that buddy.

If you took some of the advise given and if you took the time to read the installation instructions, of which there are plenty to be found online, I'm sure you would have no issue with the installation of DA. But if you do, perhaps you should consider that managing a control panel is not for you.

We have used DA for 15+ years and while no software is bug free, from our experience DA is rock-solid.

Fear and Anger lead to the darkside.

customers asking tech questions
We are customers to..
Most important things first. This forum is Community based the questions are generally answered by community members. It is frequented by Directadmin support members but it is not the main place to get support from Directadmin. If you have a license and need company based support please log a ticket here. If you don't have support please email [email protected] to purchase if needed. If you bought a server from a company and it came with a license. Contact that company they support you not Directadmin. If you need Consultation services look here.
anonymous forum posters
You mean like your username "question". Who cares if they can answer your questions?
who's been using DirectAdmin for less time than I have
So you should know the answers.. after using DA since 2009.
If you lock customers out of their own software
No one is locked out. You have to run the software based on the requirements of the company who created it. If you aren't doing that you locked yourself out.
then the software still doesn't work
It works just fine there are a lot of servers running DA.
I repeat done for.
Not yet. Its not really relevant since if they were to go out of business we would all just move on.
Don't ever tell me that mass psychosis isn't real.
Why is this relevant?

Why all this hostility?
Now I don't mean everyone. I seem to find a lot of the "Older" clients have this anger, or frustration issue. Not sure if they received a lot of hand holding say 10+ years ago or what. Seems a lot of them think life, and company can't change or shouldn't change. They think that if they have a lifetime license it means it should just work however they want and that they are owed support forever.
help you in their free time
I know right. Correct. This is all true. However I think like I said some believe they should always be helped or they think we all work for DA. Which is so untrue. All of my posts are of my free time and just caring for people that need help. If they cant figure it out then like I have said in the past DA isn't for business people. They need to have a System Admin on the payroll or be one. Else they struggle.
while no software is bug free, from our experience DA is rock-solid.
Totally true.

Thanks for posting @woktron. Sometimes its hard to keep helping.

bdacus01 said:
I seem to find a lot of the "Older" clients have this anger, or frustration issue.

I think this stems from the fact that over the last few years DA have made a lot of changes to appease the cPanel crowd, while some of the older customers feel perhaps a bit left behind.

bdacus01 said:
They think that if they have a lifetime license it means it should just work however they want and that they are owed support forever.

To be fair, I do believe a promise is a promise and lifetime licenses should be honored at all time, without any bait and switch shenanigans.

Having said that, DirectAdmin have been more than fair with this (unlike a few other companies most of us are probably familiar with). Our lifetime dc licenses are all active and when the switch to the subscription model was made we were even given a heads up, so we had a short window where we could "stock up" (within reason) with additional licenses. That shows commitment to your existing userbase and early adopters.

The only complaint I would have is the less than ideal situation with regards to the pro-pack, as we cannot purchase the support package for these licenses and thus the pro-pack is excluded. The alternative, CloudLinux works fine, but I prefer to give DA our money (I will keep mentioning this until it changes 😁 ).

If you are running any of our last three releases (1.63.4 / 1.63.5 / 1.63.6) then there is nothing you need to do. If you are running an older version, please upgrade your DirectAdmin in the control panel or manually. If you are unsure of your version, you can view it in the "Licensing / Updates" section of the control panel.

We request that you update your DirectAdmin version by the 31st of January, 2022 to avoid any licensing errors in your panel.

Hello folks,

I could use some support with 2 VPS servers currently 'stuck' on 1.63.7. When I update these servers to a newer version (1.63.8 or 1.63.9) the Evolution Skin just keeps refreshing for all accounts which makes DA unworkable. The legacy skins seem to work though; at least it was with 1.63.8. I haven't tried 1.63.9 though as I fear not being able to go back to 1.63.7.

Both servers are on Centos 7.9 and on both servers the "License page" is not working, resulting in a redirect because "Unauthorized".
I've contacted my VPS provider TransIP with this problem, but after several days of communicating we cannot figure out the problem.

I also have 2 other Centos 7.9 VPS that don't have this issue at all.

I've tried several things:
1. Reset the Evo Skin
2. Copied EVO skin from another Centos7 VPS that has no issues.
3. Changed update channel to test various releases, but currently on 'stable' prior to release of 1.63.9 which gave me 1.63.7
4. Tried to fix a potential license issue with "getLicense.sh auto"

The license information seems fine though for the untrained eye like me (changed the values ofcourse):
Code:
./directadmin l
F=0
expiry=2147483647
expiry_string=Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038
license_key=KPSxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxNAX8=
lid=XXXXXXX
name=TransIP BV VPS
pid=XXXX
pro_pack=0
type=Internal Bulk Lifetime (Approved Accounts Only)
uid=XXXX
valid=1

Any help would be welcome as both TransIP and me are stuck.
A

Last edited:
appease the cPanel crowd
I think of it more of as getting the system updated to the competition. Pre 2019 DA was way behind as it relates to other competitive panels. In some areas they still are but its not my company. I think cPanel did them a favor. It made them stop sitting on their laurels and get busy.

You even see this in other once stagnate panels like Interworx. They were purchased and the new company is make huge improvements.
customers feel perhaps a bit left behind
Not sure way making the Product better would make older users feel left behind but that's just imo.
I do believe a promise is a promise and lifetime licenses should be honored at all time, without any bait and switch shenanigans.
For sure. Agree. As far as I know Support was never lifetime. Just the license. If there was "Lifetime support" they I agree you lost something. I wasnt around then so I defer to you.

bdacus01 said:
Ok. I don’t have a Datacenter. I wish I did. Lol

Neither do we, I'm afraid :)

The requirement for DC licenses was to bundle them with dedicated servers. The burden of supporting these licenses falls on us, which is perfectly fine I should add. Support never was included with dc licenses, however I can't remember we ever actually needed technical support anyway, which is a testament to the stability of the software.

bdacus01 said:
Not sure way making the Product better would make older users feel left behind but that's just imo.

I'd say this is because DA have taken somewhat of a different direction, not necessarily taking care of some of the requests of the longterm users (an improved backup system for example) but instead focusing on features wanted by cPanel users. The original DA users were for the most part quite adverse to cPanel and they worry DA becomes too much of a cPanel clone, with the associated feature creep etc.

Keep in mind this is the opinion of some of our (quite vocal) clients. This certainly is not our view. In most ways the changes have been positive for us.

Keep in mind this is the opinion of some of our (quite vocal) clients.
I'm a bit less vocal (at least with protesting), but also am one of the older ones which really does not like things to go too much like a cPanel clone. Still the other admin and I don't like the Evo skin for example, because the only real usable thing is the grid stuff which looks too much like... well... you know. :) So we still stick with Enhanced for the time being as admins. Maybe sometime later this year or next year.
However, I do like lots of the features that were build now a bit quicker since so many former cP customers came over.

I don't think a lot are feeling left behind but for some the confusion about what a lifetime license meanse, and the short period of notice and even without email, irritated a lot of customers which was justly.
Which is also partly caused because other software company's are using another understanding of lifetime (you can use this specific version forever until it's declared end of life, or use specific version forever but can't upgrade anymore) instead of DA using the "you can use DA for life, no matter which version, but you need to upgrade, we don't support EOL OS" which is a different way of looking at things.

I like that version of looking, but a lot of people running old stuff got blindsided when the sudden change disabled their DA which wasn't expected.

Anyway, hope most of the DA users are now aware of this change and will be satisfied like before.
Luckily most of us are running up to date stuff, so almost didn't have issues.

Back