Important: Upgrade your DirectAdmin to ensure compatibility with our new licensing system

Well that is your fault because that OS hasn't been supported for 5 years.

Only fault is the sudden change of longtime policy by Directadmin. As has been proven before, nobody else (cPanel, Litespeed etc) done it that way.
So please stop your unskillful attempts to defend it, especially since DA somehow don't seem to say anything about it.

Come on, really? So you're going to compare a "lifetime one fee" license which you have to pay $200 a year for updates to a really one time fee DA licenses which has free updates, which is more like "one fee"? You're not being realistic.
well it works, you also have to compare the support, DA tickets are often rejected with lame answers which take hours, at CP I submit a ticket and after 3-5 minutes I have a login on the host, okay the support has decreased tremendously, it was worlds better before, I like to spend 140$ or 200$ per year

Plain nonsense. There are are lot who will do that, but also a lot who will appreciate and do update. Frontpage extensions? People should be put over the knee still supporting that crap.
Let them be pissed off, let every hoster do that and those customers get pissed of everywhere and we finally can stop supporting these stupid arrogant customers because they will not find another place doing the same.
Your opinion. My opinion, this is old crap but if people want crap they should have crap. We don't do this business because we love it so much, we feed our families with it. I see it like this, we let people use the old crap but in a safe way that does not endanger anyone.... and to be honest i understand people when they have paid thousands € for a site as small companies and then the evil host comes after 2-3 years and says this is old shit, have it redone or we'll shut it all down....

Having that said, I've not been blind for the issues with the new licensing system, also for newly installed systems with Centos 7 and 8. And there have been some fixes. It's evident that a completely new system will have some tings which need to be fixed, agree on that.
exactly but it's just shitty when you come to the office in the morning, get on the hotline queue and only shit comes down on you because people complain that they can't log in and that it was much better before (before the migration to DA) and that we "forced" them to migrate....

I've didn't see that before and it was not announced as far as I now. However, I'm not native English and do not understand what this means.

I'm not either and I can't figure it out either, I don't know what is meant by this, so my assumption is that DA will be divided into 2 products (because the pro pack had too few long time users converted?).

we let people use the old crap
Yes I hear you but thats not DA fault. You were supposed to keep current. Because you did not now your upset because you didnt do what you should have years ago. You are projecting your issue on someone else.

We don't do this business because we love it so much
Unrelated but dont do things you dont love.. I makes you angry. I hope you feel better soon.
that it was much better before (before the migration to DA) and that we "forced" them to migrate....
then make a business choice and change.

so my assumption is that DA will be divided into 2 products (because the pro pack had too few long time users converted?).
The pro pack was already not available for lifetime customers. As long as it stays with that, I'm satisfied.
I only hope it does not mean lifetime licenses will be excluded from normal future development available for the normal "pro-pack-less" subscribtions.

and to be honest i understand people when they have paid thousands € for a site as small companies and then the evil host comes
It's just part of business, also small businesses have costs. I also have a small business but look better around before spending such an amount of money for not upgradeble stuff. They have to create better contracts on creating those things when it costs so much.
And all people know that this is an ICT business. With this argument, we would all still be working with DOS and quickmenu because it costs money for poort businesses to pay for Windows 95.

I understand where you're coming from but it's business, most of us have to live from it and people should create better contracts then. Lots of businesses go broke because they made wrong decisions which took out bad later on.

Yes I hear you but thats not DA fault. You were supposed to keep current. Because you did not now your upset because you didnt do what you should have years ago. You are projecting your issue on someone else.

Unrelated but dont do things you dont love.. I makes you angry. I hope you feel better soon.

then make a business choice and change.
absolutely but i didn't mean by "so much" that i don't love it, I've been hosting people since 1996 (on FreeBSD), was the first in my country but if you as a nerd have a family someday (and wonder how you could find a wife who is just as nerdy and your 10 year old child can already program) then this takes priority one, no matter how awesome the commodore 64 used to be...

The pro pack was already not available for lifetime customers. As long as it stays with that, I'm satisfied.
I only hope it does not mean lifetime licenses will be excluded from normal future development available for the normal "pro-pack-less" subscribtions.
but for those with the hermaphrodite product.... "owned" (lifetime licence but updates and support for 99$/y).

It's just part of business, also small businesses have costs. I also have a small business but look better around before spending such an amount of money for not upgradeble stuff. They have to create better contracts on creating those things when it costs so much.
And all people know that this is an ICT business. With this argument, we would all still be working with DOS and quickmenu because it costs money for poort businesses to pay for Windows 95.
Absolutely agreed, but how do YOU explain that to your customers?

Last edited:
it's totally irrelevant, and has nothing to do with the matter but I will tell you anyway, we also do PC support, and we still have customers with DOS and Win 3.11, no joke! Exactly these customers need our services (and yes, it is exactly these customers who still need FPSE...), they say, we have no money for new and will be retired in 1-3 years, I understand totally

Catastrophe! We are migrating people off our old server and now we find out this morning one of our servers CP is not working due to licensing issues and another is likely to followi, and that is a current version of FreeBSD. We don't mind no updates, but pulling the rug out from under us for current is an awful thing to do to people.

but how do YOU explain that to your customers?
How I explain it? Easy, in a decent non-evil way. We do support php 7.3 still now, but as last choice. It's just became end of life but will not be around for long anymore.

Already when php 7.2 became end of life, we notified our customers that the default would be php 7.4 and that php 7.3 would not be supported by us anymore as of beginning of 2022.
We always tend to send around a mail to our customers, remembering that in 6 months time, the phpxx version (now php 7.3) will be removed, and it's time they upgrade their website and/or applications, or contact their website designers so this will be done in time. Also that they can switch php version to test of all is indeed compatible.
Then 1 month before the version actually is removed (like with php 7.2) we give a last warning that it will be removed end of the month.

I only had customers asking questions, never had anyone protesting and only 1 which was moving away, but that was because he had a webshop and he was going to host that on a special webshop hosting site (devs of the webshop) which would give him more support and a free certificate for playment options (which LE is not good for). ;)

So that's how I do it.

It's logical... ICT evolves, everything gets new versions, also Windows. People using XP can't do a lot anymore on the internet, same for Vista and W7 is going the same way. Browsers will stop supporting that too. Hosting is purely internet so they should expect upgrades and changes, it's just how software works, everything gets updated.

but for those with the hermaphrodite product.... "owned" (lifetime licence but updates and support for 99$/y).
Incorrect. Only support is for 99$/y, the updates are free lifetime. So we don't pay anything and servers do get updated.

I haven't gotten updates on the server in a long time because it no longer supported. It is on a permanent license, which DA decided to make permanent a long time ago. I don't want their updates. I just wanted it operational long enough for users to find a new home as I am leaving the web hosting business and will only have a few sites on a newer servers that belong to my partner while I open an orphanage.

It is on a permanent license
Permanent DA license, not OS usage.

Stopping FreeBSD was announced a lot longer than 1 month. However I do agree this with Centos 6 and change within 1 month, maybe 2 is a very short period anyway. But also since a lot of people expected another kind of lifetime license.

It would be good if DA could do something about this, but that's up to DA, if it was my decision, I would have given more time or create a temp license solution (for about another 5/6 months).

Permanent DA license, not OS usage.

Stopping FreeBSD was announced a lot longer than 1 month. However I do agree this with Centos 6 and change within 1 month, maybe 2 is a very short period anyway. But also since a lot of people expected another kind of lifetime license.

It would be good if DA could do something about this, but that's up to DA, if it was my decision, I would have given more time or create a temp license solution (for about another 5/6 months).
problem is in DA licensing architecture (Portioned Licence). I see now this is changed and there will be no monthly licence renewals.

Why DA creators can`t give licence.key for old DA versions with longer than 30 days validity (for example until 2038 year).

I get that. Did you turn off cron updates in the options.conf?
what is wrong to use CentOS 4 with PHP 4 scripts software for customer, if such system is open for only several IP addresses (some clients and employees)?

what is wrong to use CentOS 4 with PHP 4 scripts software for customer, if such system is open for only several IP addresses (some clients and employees)?
What I think is wrong doesnt really matter honestly. In general nothing as long as your not using Directadmin.
If you are using Directadmin its not currently supported and hasn't been 2013. If you want a working supported product for the OS and or Directadmin you need to update.

Again no one can force you to you can always use a different process, vendor and any other thing to keep using the very old os you want to use.. Finding a vendor to support CentOS 4 might be hard though.

Not sure why people keep asking this question. The answers are the answers...

What I think is wrong doesnt really matter honestly. In general nothing as long as your not using Directadmin.
If you are using Directadmin its not currently supported and hasn't been 2013. If you want a working supported product for the OS and or Directadmin you need to update.

Again no one can force you to you can always use a different process, vendor and any other thing to keep using the very old os you want to use.. Finding a vendor to support CentOS 4 might be hard though.

Not sure why people keep asking this question. The answers are the answers...
question is why we should change system in 1 month, which already worked 10-15 years? This is just not fair from DA side :)

Back