R.I.P. CentOS ?

It seems he editted the post on wht. But it's now on the blog: https://blog.cloudlinux.com/announcing-open-sourced-community-driven-rhel-fork-by-cloudlinux

Edit: Actually a mod had edited his post.
Ah, I think they put that up just after I looked at it :)

Good to know CentOS doesn't affect Cloud Linux and I guess since they already do most of the work to compile RHEL to Cloud Linux then it hopefully it wouldn't take too much effort to make a CL version without all the added benefits (LVE, CageFS, etc) for free as direct replacement for CentOS

free as direct replacement for CentOS
At least until IBM changes the TOS on all of RH so CL, Oracle and others cant use RH to create their own distro. Hopefully they will start from totally free source.

At least until IBM changes the TOS on all of RH so CL, Oracle and others cant use RH to create their own distro. Hopefully they will start from totally free source.
Well, as 'linux' is actually just a kernel and the tools round it are defined by the distro, FreeBSD might be a good, secure, fast and complete OS to shift the focus to.

Yeah, that sucks too.
Yeah that’s why I would love to see folks come out and support FreeBSD with DA. Also this move by IBM is another reason why FreeBSD support should be kept. There is speculation that this might bring people over to FreeBSD.

Tell me that I am a wrong, but really, isn't it that nobody can predict if centos stream 8 wouldn't be a stable OS?

Directadmin is compiling all software from source, latest version available.
The things that centos provides (in our case) are libraries, basic system tools, and maybe a kernel, but most of the server software is compiled and provided by custombuild anyway.

Or maybe I am just looking for some comforting words, I have migrated most servers to c8..

Kr
Dries

centos stream 8
Depends on your definition of stable. IMHO if you are running a prod environment with clients you need to plan on doing something else.

In old terms it becomes Beta code. In the post they say it's for development. Also if you note in post I add they said if you are worried about stability come talk to us about options at Red Hat AKA buy the RHEL version.

Directadmin is compiling all software from source, latest version available.
The latest stable version available not the testing branch.
I am just looking for some comforting words
Take comfort in change... at least here at DA we have choices FreeBSD, Debian, and RHEL.

Over at the other panels they are only one option RH. Those that dont want to pay for RH. Will be coming here.

No expert on this, but what I read on this is that it's also about (virtual) hardware compatibility. Who knows when just running a regular yum update; it will fail on a number of machines. At least I think that's the kind of thing people worry about.

I think no worries if you're on CentOS 8 already, the CL one and Rocky will provide migration options.

As always I think the best approach is to wait and see what happens. We have two initiatives already, most likely they will merge or search synergies to save costs and better development speed.

Lot of companies rely on CentOS for their products so most likely something will be figured out. Just wait, we still have 1 yr support.

This was a huge mistake from IBM, and if they rock people off it will hurt RHEL a lot, a lot of testing environments etc rely on CentOS to avoid paying support for RHEL, and that is not going to change.

I think that two are my choices now :
1. Freebsd
2. rockylinux.org

Are you sure about that they're owned by the same company? I can't find anything on that.

I had a brain fart. I was thinking of Whmcs and Cpanel. My bad. I still think Cpanel would use the cloudlinux version of centos 8. It just makes sense.

Yes now that cPanel is going to provide support for the CL version, it has strengthened its position. Given that DA also works well with CL I would assume DA will also provide support.

So it will look like there will be 2 good alternatives, Rocky Linux and the CL version. Too bad they won't work together (all signs point to no), but it's understandable. We see now a new community very excited in creating this Rocy Linux and because it's reason for needing one was a corporation behind it, I think they don't feel like backing another corporate fork. However, CentOS has a history of it's own where it needed developers after a long time. Igor (CL) is also bringing that argument to the table, will this enthusiasm stick for the years to come.

Last edited:
Back