What is the future for Legacy DirectAdmin License holders?

So does that mean I can use the license for my shared hosting servers
Yes the offer is converting lifetime to modern license and then pay lifetime 15/month per license, no pause option, so even pay if not used.
But you do have a full modern license then at half the price which is normally $29/month.

Well I don't need to worry about anything because you got it totally wrong there. Because I know for a fact that I'm in not crucial to DA in any way and I also know I don't have any guarantee that any effort made might have any effect.
But since they asked for ideas, there might be a very slight chance for lifetime license holders. So I don't expect anything.
I'm just trying like a few others do. We can also just rest and do nothing, it's everybody's choice. I rather try.
If succeeding, then it's a good thing, if not, then no luck.

The only people crucial to DA are paying customers, which I'm not one of since I've got lifetime licenses. ;)
You should spend your efforts where they're truly appreciated. If you're really willing to help, let's find a reliable alternative to DirectAdmin. It's important to switch to solutions that prevent cPanel and DirectAdmin from bullying us.

My efforts are appreciated here too by other users, which is my main goal, helping others.

If you really want to help, then let's find a trustworthy and reliable alternative(s) to DirectAdmin. The DirectAdmin lifetime license is a real pain, and it seems like you're just trying to lessen the pain without actually solving the problem.

If you really want to help, then let's find a trustworthy and reliable alternative(s) to DirectAdmin. The DirectAdmin lifetime license is a real pain, and it seems like you're just trying to lessen the pain without actually solving the problem.
I think the problem is, that there isnt a real good alternative to DA with the same flexibility, plugin availability, and pricerange.

There might be a free alternative, but I don't feel like going somewhere else yet. At least until 2026 with current database systems we can work with DA and have time to investigate maybe free alternatives like Hestia or Centos panel.
Provided we will decide to go a few years further with hosting at that time.

Directadmin, when can we expect open and clear communication, we deserve that at the very least.

I realize that a lifetime licence is not sustainable, but at least offer your customers options like a reasonable priced subscription or reasonable offer on the other monthly licences. For me as a hobbyist the offer of 15 euro p/m is not interesting.

I have been using Directadmin for a while and would like to continue doing so.

For me as a hobbyist the offer of 15 euro p/m is not interesting.
I don't think as a hobbyist you would need a full license for unlimited accounts, right? So maybe the personal licenses is interesting for you? Same options, only 2 users (so admin and 1 other account) but also only 5/month.

I agree with you, although I will miss the separate backup per user enormously.
But as owner of 2 external lifetime licenses, I hope for some compensation. Even if it is half of a 5 euro license.

I agree with you, although I will miss the separate backup per user enormously.
But as owner of 2 external lifetime licenses, I hope for some compensation. Even if it is half of a 5 euro license.
How much would you feel would be a reasonable monthly pricing to keep a full licence as 15 is too much ?
5€ / 9€/ .. ?

If I had a server with more than 250 customers then 15 euros would be a good deal. We are talking about 0.06 per customer per month.

For me and 2 friends spread over 2 VPS servers with 7 to 8 sites in total, this is too expensive.

My advice would be to give all external lifetime license holders the opportunity to convert to a monthly license of their choice with a 50% discount until an end date such as 2035, for example.
And it must be possible to temporarily pause it and place it on another server or VPS.
And to make it even more attractive, let us switch between 5 (2.5), 15 (7.5), or 30 (15) euro licenses.
I only see a win-win situation here.

Another advice would be to develop a number of proposals and present them to the external license holders and let them vote.
The most chosen option then becomes the binding proposal. But communicate and inform your customers about what you are planning and give them options!

And if Directadmjn is not going to do anything, put yourself in my shoes. What would you do then?

DA is not going to do anything. They would have done it by now if they were going to do anything. We are just screwed.

Just because we are using DirectAdmin doesn't mean it's the best option; it was mainly chosen because we didn't want to pay a lot for licensing fees. Many of us switched to DirectAdmin when cPanel began increasing its prices and changing its subscription types. I believe the same shift will happen again—we'll move from DirectAdmin to another alternative as soon as we find a better option

From now on in other forums whenever DirectAdmin is brought up I am going to point them to this thread. There are a lot of hosts out there like myself that are offering DA as a value added service without charging extra for it. That means they have lifetime legacy licenses that will be useless in 2 years. I feel I have to post a link to this thread in those cases.

@Richard G loves to help people and that is great. But we who have lifetime licenses are no longer benefiting from DA. Why should I do DA's job for them? Let those who need help fill out tickets and make DA do the job we have been doing for years to help them. I just don't feel inspired to help a company that has screwed us over.

I just don't feel inspired to help a company that has screwed us over.
That seems a logical thought to me. I was considering the same thing, but I first want to know the reason for things.

DA was never out to get us, so why suddenly this action if they also could have done this a couple of years ago when all cPanel customers came over directly stop selling lifetime licenses for example. They gave us and them half a year to be able to buy them.
Brings in money, but still... count it... 299 / 5 years (60 months) = 4,98/month. They would have done way better to instantly stop selling lifetime licences and having every new customer pay $ 30/month. So imho it's not greed because this way they could have earned way more.
And people using such license from 2019 had a real cheap license in fact.

In spite of the lifetime license agreement from lifetime updates and upgrades, which imho is broken now. I'm also still angry also about that.
But in fact we made no loss yet and had a good time. But what's happening now is odd, not da-alike.
It looks we still have till 2026 with current licenses before database go EOL, and since these are odd harse sudden measures without leaving us an alternative, I guess there will be some statement made. I will wait for that.
And I checked alternatives, there are no free good ones. Either one needs to use Debian/Ubuntu, or prices are amost same as the 15/month deal or they are not secure/updated enough or for professional panels it's twice the DA monthley price for servers.

I don't know yet if I'm going to keep my support on the forums the same or will decrease it. That's everybody's free choice ofcourse.
Downside is, it's also my hobby and decreasing support (for as far as I'm able) will only hurt other lifetime license owners needing help, because licetime licenses are not entitled to ticket support.

Hard to say why this action, maybe new management, executive decision, "cleaning up their act" to be more attractive for a potential buyout, lots of options...

This shouldn't be something which should be shown to customers. That is not something for DA to decide.

Where exactly do you see this? I can't find it on my reseller page or user page.

This shouldn't be something which should be shown to customers. That is not something for DA to decide.

Where exactly do you see this? I can't find it on my reseller page or user page.
It is in the login screen. Please see the screenshot. I really think this is absurd, Directadmin has lost it.

First the MariaDB thing but now even this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240606_211953_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240606_211953_Chrome.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 71
Back