What is the future for Legacy DirectAdmin License holders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$3 (Personal Plus), $8 (Lite), $15 (Standard) switch is ready in clients area. It happened mainly because of your suggestion, which was sent to DA. Thank you and everyone else for the ideas.

@smtalk can the $5 datacenter license also be able to convert to the above mention > $3 (Personal Plus), $8 (Lite), $15 (Standard) switch is ready in clients area?

Been a lover for DA since 2006+ when the control panel looks like cartoon gif. I wish that the pricing can be flexible because each of our customer have 1-3 accounts under them and its not feasible to convert all to standard license e.g 15+based on pricing we charge 1/3 monthly goes to licensing . Someone mentioned enhance and its really suits our business use as its based on websites . The message that my customer sees right now have forced us to make plans to leave/upgrade. Feeling emotional because I became an expert in directadmin all these years and can solve all our issues easily.

we are switching to "Enhance" with thousands of customers, we won't be taken for fools

It is quite remarkable to have so many loyal fans aliented so fast.

$99/year - would be much more digestible.

It is quite remarkable to have so many loyal fans aliented so fast.

Keep in mind it was DA that was disloyal. I am loyal until I get stabbed in the back. So no I was not alienated so fast. This thread has been going on for months and DA is not even trying to make things right but instead they are going out of their way to make things worse.

Keep in mind it was DA that was disloyal. I am loyal until I get stabbed in the back. So no I was not alienated so fast. This thread has been going on for months and DA is not even trying to make things right but instead they are going out of their way to make things worse.
I agree. Maybe I phrased it wrong, English is not my first language.

I'm just amazed how they're butchering such a big loyal fanbase blatantly.

I agree. Maybe I phrased it wrong, English is not my first language.

It sounded like we left at the first sign of trouble but I now know that is not what you meant. I have some hope they will come to their senses and make some good changes in the next year or so while there is still time. I am planing to switch but we don't have to until 2026.

I just hope that DA can really work on something like 2 kinds flexible licensing. I think the lifetime license should be demolish but not like this to cripple here/there, we should all pay so that DA can cover some cost and continue to overtake CP and other new control panel. On my end I have been trying to convert my license since 1-2 years back to subscription after I saw some messages in the forum that the lifetime is not sustainable to return my love for DA and try to make it working for DA. Yesterday I've cancelled all subscription 2 days ago and preparing to move because I feel the same like everyone else here after our customer tell us about the legacy code message and found out about the maria/mysql which is part of LAMP and there's no communication to us.

1. I think there are easily 200-500 customers willing to pay 100-150 mth range kind for support for DA. I'm one of them and we should be able to bring > 37k usd or more recurring monthly, The DA import feature in other control panel will soon be available and makes me very upset because I'm a full time salesman for directadmin since 2006 telling people how stable and good it is.
2. Maybe have some licensing model like enhance and current plan with discount.
1718765862987.png

This will be beneficial for design agency that house their clients. Have 2-5 accounts in it that charges 300SGD-600SGD yearly kind for a customer VPS. We prefer the accounts to be seperated from wordpress thats why there are 2-5 accounts in one VPS. Assuming we have like 50 license. We would require at least lite account which is 15USD. After converting to non US area e.g South east asia. 20SGD goes to Directadmin License about 240 SGD yearly. If we were to factor in and increase our customer pricing they would move to other hosting with some special control panel deals non DA platform.

If we have an account/website basis license. DA can earn and share profits together and we can grow.

3. I see alot bigger companies share how many customer they plan to move to xxx panel etc. Lifetime license is not feasible and there isn't unlimited updates anymore and killing our favourite product and company. Share 0.15 account or 0.2 per account will contribute your earnings back to DA to keep them strong and healthy with capital to make the product better.

I really wish that DA can work out something and hold maybe a meet the fans/customer webinar for us to vote etc. Let us feel the love <3 .
Lets discuss something that works for all, Vote together and share to us if its feasible.

Once Directadmin import is completed from other panels. I think it will be too late to retain customers that leave because its too much hassle to come back and we wont look back I feel.
1718766922954.png

1718766951684.png

Last edited:
One of my customers is considering whether to discontinue using 12 servers running on D.A. I fully understand their concerns. They only have vps servers with 16 domains per VPS and dedicated servers with 64 domains. Since they do not need MySQL or mail functions, the entire User Interface is not in use because everything is automated via the API. Although MySQL is not an issue, they are discussing internally about discontinuing D.A. as part of their contingency planning. I am confident they will switch to Webmin or even a bare LAMP server soon (they asked me for possible options of course).

D.A. should consider offering a lower price to attract LLH users. My customer is unwilling to pay $180 per server or vps. D.A.'s lack of communication is causing us to lose confidence quickly, and I feel like I’m caught in the middle. At a fair price and keeping the old LLH features, he would most certainly continue using it. @ DA: you are stretching this too far and too long now. Can yuo see how much hours your LLH customers are putting into this, and you are only letting them drift away. Maybe we need to draw a conclusion?

I have not seen any response to my previous comment from a few days ago about implementing a questionnaire and addressing software issues. It seems D.A. has progressed too far in their development without supporting (te old) LLH functions, and they may not be able to reverse course. The lack of response makes it clear that our concerns are not being addressed.

The only possible conclusion: D.A. has strayed too far from supporting LLH users. The lack of response from D.A. on specific this matter supports this observation. What can I say?

Like many others, we have been following the discussions around the licenses. Until now, we have not responded, but it remains a contentious issue. It's not just the numerous changes in the pricing structure, but also the lack of a real solution for what is now called the 'legacy license.' We also don't understand the need for maintaining two separate codebases. The goal should be to keep development affordable, yet now two codebases must be maintained. Just stop that and reward loyal and early adopters by allowing them to convert all legacy licenses to a 'standard' license for the price of a 'personal plus' license. Add a bulk discount on top of that, and everyone will be happy. You can then maintain a single codebase, and this chapter can finally be closed. Give everyone until, say, June 1, 2025, to convert their legacy license, and then discontinue development of the legacy license altogether.

Also, we think it would be wise to stop offering three types of licenses. Just go for one license at $15 per month with all features included. Additionally, offer legacy license holders the option to switch for $5 per month until June 1, 2025.

• So, new licenses at $15 per month (all-inclusive).
  • Legacy licenses can be converted for $5 per month (all-inclusive).
Depending on the numbers, apply bulk discounts, and I think you'll have a very attractive business model.
Simplify the process and remove the complexity. And not unimportantly, ensure that this discussion finally comes to an end.

Simple, clear, and a solution for everyone. Moreover, you'll immediately start generating revenue from all the current legacy licenses.

It's just an idea...

Last edited:
I just hope that DA can really work on something like 2 kinds flexible licensing. I think the lifetime license should be demolish but not like this to cripple here/there, we should all pay so that DA can cover some cost and continue to overtake CP and other new control panel. On my end I have been trying to convert my license since 1-2 years back to subscription after I saw some messages in the forum that the lifetime is not sustainable to return my love for DA and try to make it working for DA. Yesterday I've cancelled all subscription 2 days ago and preparing to move because I feel the same like everyone else here after our customer tell us about the legacy code message and found out about the maria/mysql which is part of LAMP and there's no communication to us.

1. I think there are easily 200-500 customers willing to pay 100-150 mth range kind for support for DA. I'm one of them and we should be able to bring > 37k usd or more recurring monthly, The DA import feature in other control panel will soon be available and makes me very upset because I'm a full time salesman for directadmin since 2006 telling people how stable and good it is.
2. Maybe have some licensing model like enhance and current plan with discount.
View attachment 8122

This will be beneficial for design agency that house their clients. Have 2-5 accounts in it that charges 300SGD-600SGD yearly kind for a customer VPS. We prefer the accounts to be seperated from wordpress thats why there are 2-5 accounts in one VPS. Assuming we have like 50 license. We would require at least lite account which is 15USD. After converting to non US area e.g South east asia. 20SGD goes to Directadmin License about 240 SGD yearly. If we were to factor in and increase our customer pricing they would move to other hosting with some special control panel deals non DA platform.

If we have an account/website basis license. DA can earn and share profits together and we can grow.

3. I see alot bigger companies share how many customer they plan to move to xxx panel etc. Lifetime license is not feasible and there isn't unlimited updates anymore and killing our favourite product and company. Share 0.15 account or 0.2 per account will contribute your earnings back to DA to keep them strong and healthy with capital to make the product better.

I really wish that DA can work out something and hold maybe a meet the fans/customer webinar for us to vote etc. Let us feel the love <3 .
Lets discuss something that works for all, Vote together and share to us if its feasible.

Once Directadmin import is completed from other panels. I think it will be too late to retain customers that leave because its too much hassle to come back and we wont look back I feel.
View attachment 8123
View attachment 8124

Do not give such ideas that is greedy and unnatural to basic fairness in capitalism... (yes fairness in capitalism exist )

What I mean:

1. I believe who do the job got to be payed for what they do
(basic capitalism - fair one) ... so if the job done by DirectAdmin team OR Any Other panel - is exactly the same for me hosting 1 website on one server (providing GUI panel and software stack installation + updates for one server) on the server... or for me hositng 100 websites on the server (providing GUI panel and software stack installation + updates for one server)... or 1000 (providing GUI panel and software stack installation + updates for one server) or any number =< unlimited domains on the same server (providing GUI panel and software stack installation + updates for one server) SO unlimited per server panel is a must to have fair pricing for the job done...

(some limited per / account / domains panel versions are OK to exist - for the purpose of offering cheaper than the unlimited panel price)....

2. What are natural limits of one server: Sever Has Limited CPU Power, Limited Bandwidth Capacity, Limited amount of RAM, Limited DIsk /SSD /NVMe Space - which has limited maximum IO and IOPS, and the server file system has limited Inodes (or inodes could be limited lower and fair for another purpose - for example because main host is nvme but backup server is hdd (because I'm not such a player to can afford to keep backups on NVMe - yet, and has limited iops so account is inodes limited so the backup system manage to write backups in reasonable time) ...

3. Servers do NOT have natural limit how many domains they can host... so that is unnatural limitation ...

If I do not care about how many domains my customers are hosting inside of an account - when they are fair share limited by space, bandwidth, inodes, cpu, ram, io, iops and in Cloud Linux case in MySQL io and cpu too per account... SO why DirectAdmin OR ANY Other panel need to care how many domains I host on server as they do the same job to earn their money as stated in point 1 and impose unnatural limit per domain - the answer is greed - they greedy looking at my dish and want a cut not by the job they do but by what I have for a dish :) and I will explain it in 5 how they will F you because of what people like me plan to do :)

5. I have usage scenario - I will pay about max $3-5 per server 16 /32 - 48/ 96 HT cores with Enhace - for that specific usage scenario (not exactly shared hosting) of mine and expect Enhance to become greedy (because they show they are by having unnatural limits from the start) ... And I and other people like me will pay too low vs people that move / plan to move entire shared hosting servers to them :) (hundreds of domains per server)... they will go after us to pay more ... so in the future they will move the price up full vmware stile (600% +) to charge me and people like something reasonable ... and the people that move hundreds of domains per server will went under water... :)

I believe current low price is just a trap - but I do not mind as I plan very low usage Enhance - because I do not trust them - I plan to be able to absorb 600%+ and still profit BUT you guys when you now complain about having to pay $15 for DirectAdmin for unlimited to convert your licenses I'm just laughing to you - giving the example with a panel with price based on unnatural limiting and try to present it like competitive option. If a shared hosting provider went with them for their main service will pay hundreds per server per month in the future ...

Why I believe that? It is based on inside feeling from the pricing based on unnatural limits and that the guys hide themselves what they represent https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1920852&p=10447942#post10447942

P.S If the cgroups limits was perfect I will never look at other panel just hope docker to solve my issue with imperfectness of cgroup limitation...

Last edited:
@quape.net
Don't compare that with directadmin.

Imagine you have 5000 domains in the server.

5000 * 0.15 = $750

Compare with directadmin : $29.99 with 10000000 domains , are you serious with this price ?

and yes, you can compare with lower plan like 50Domains = $7.5 , but what's feature have the same ? no hehe.... and.. the price increase every years from time to time 🤣

Also, most "support" - DA gives us, is here on the community forums. Which is great. But it also means there's little impact on how many licences they actually sell, as support is very much in the background.

DanielIP said:
I believe who do the job got to be payed for what they do

DanielIP said:
when you now complain about having to pay $15 for DirectAdmin for unlimited to convert your license I'm just laughing to you

I'm sorry, but you are completely missing the point here. This is about breach of contract. This is about promises that were made in the past that are now being negated. It is up to every company to set a price point to assure solvency and healthy margins. If a company does not do so, then this is not the problem of the clients of said company.

Furthermore, there is a distinction between internal lifetime and lifetime licenses - both are being EOL'ed. In our case these licenses are bundled in combination with Virtual Private Servers or dedicated servers and we in turn have entered a contract with our clients to include these licenses with their VPS or dedi purchase. We now also must break our promises to our clients due to the actions of DirectAdmin.

Of course we can charge our clients the difference, but nearly all have indicated to move to another panel, even if the cost were marginally higher - again, this is about trust.

On the financial side - let's grab that calculator once more; say you have 100 licenses @ 15 USD. All of a sudden you are looking at an extra cost of USD18.000 per annum through no fault of your own. Now, you may throw money in the air like there is no tomorrow, but for most of us mortals that USD18.000 matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back