AwStats plugin for DA [Still in BETA]

Help with installation?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting AWSTATS working on my DirectAdmin server. I'm new to DirectAdmin, and would appreciate some help.

If anyone is interested in earning a few dollors to get it working for me please email me, and we can do business.

Regards

Shane

Security Suggestion

Is it possible to have it inside the awstats path inside DA control panel environment.

Something like domain:2222/awstats
and force the users to be validated with the DA scheme...

Having to setup a second password is always an annoying extra step.

Re: Help with installation?

shaneodea said:
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting AWSTATS working on my DirectAdmin server. I'm new to DirectAdmin, and would appreciate some help.

If anyone is interested in earning a few dollors to get it working for me please email me, and we can do business.

Regards

Shane

Hi Shane,

Send me a PM with your URL and admin password and I'll install the plugin for you at no cost.

Regards,
Onno Vrijburg

still having problems this is what happens when I run the update all script in the shell, 2 domains only 1 updates.

root@bollocks awstats # /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/awstats/hooks/cgi-bin/awstats_updateall.pl now -awstatsprog=/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/awstats/hooks/cgi-bin/awstats.pl
Running '"/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/awstats/hooks/cgi-bin/awstats.pl" -update -config=bollocks.mydomain.org -configdir="/etc/awstats"' to update config bollocks.mydomain.org
Update for config "/etc/awstats/awstats.bollocks.mydomain.org.conf"
With data in log file "/var/log/httpd/domains/bollocks.mydomain.org.log"...
Phase 1 : First bypass old records, searching new record...
Direct access after last parsed record (after line 3864)
Jumped lines in file: 3864
Found 3864 already parsed records.
Parsed lines in file: 0
Found 0 dropped records,
Found 0 corrupted records,
Found 0 old records,
Found 0 new qualified records.

Running '"/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/awstats/hooks/cgi-bin/awstats.pl" -update -config=anotherdomain.com -configdir="/etc/awstats"' to update config anotherdomain.com

here it hangs forever until I terminate it, I compared the files between the 2 and they have matching awstats config's and the logs have the same permissions as each other. What can make this script hang?

Chrysalis

It could take a long time before the First update has been completed. I've got sites on the server that can take up to an hour of two to complete the update.

As awstats does not consume that much cpu usage it can take a while.

Just let it run a see how long it completes.

Internal Server Error

Hi

First off, thanks for this great plugin!

I successfully installed the plug-in via Admin and installed it via my user's control panel as well.

However, when I try to access my site's statistics at www.domain.com/awstats/awstats.pl, I get the error:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance.:confused:

Drop the awstats.pl from the link and try that.

If it still gives you the same error it could be a owner/group mismatch to me. Make sure the cgi-bin directory belongs to "username:username' and not "username:apache"
If that still does not fix it, check the suexec log for a detailed error message. (/var/log/httpd/suexec_log)

Last edited:
chmod awstats.pl +x, by default the file isnt set executable.

on my own issue I ran the command seperate and the 2nd domain updated fine, since then I havent had any more update problems.

Nope, still didnt work. I tried:

1) "Drop the awstats.pl from the link and try that."

2) "Make sure the cgi-bin directory belongs to "username:username' and not "username:apache""

3) "check the suexec log" - What I got from this was something close to "error: Directory is writable by others"

4) "chmod +x awstats.pl"

I've tried all the above, but I'm still getting the same error. Please help.

Its talking about the directory permissions, not the awstats.pl (in the error message you provided) Make sure that the cgi-bin directory is also chmoded correctly.

lifegauge said:
Nope, still didnt work. I tried:

1) "Drop the awstats.pl from the link and try that."

2) "Make sure the cgi-bin directory belongs to "username:username' and not "username:apache""

3) "check the suexec log" - What I got from this was something close to "error: Directory is writable by others"

4) "chmod +x awstats.pl"

I've tried all the above, but I'm still getting the same error. Please help.

Point 3 is giving the explanation! The file may NOT be executable/writable by others, so chmod 770 the file ;)

I've chmod awstats directory and awstats.pl in /awstats to 770 ... but am still getting 403 Forbidden errors.

I'm about to give up on this, it's a great script but I guess being a newbie in the scene doesn't help much :(

Ok you can simple find out where the error is by checking these 2 logs again:

/var/log/httpd/suexec_log
/var/log/httpd/domains/[domainname].error.log

has anyone managed to install this with using the DA gui only and not having to fix stuff in the shell?

Chrysalis said:
has anyone managed to install this with using the DA gui only and not having to fix stuff in the shell?

Yes, it works fine on 4 of my servers. Never had to do anything in the shell. Just added it through the admin interface and my users were able to use it immediately.

Only pitty is that you cannot disable it for a user or group of users, oh well it is much better than webalizer though :)

Regards,
Onno Vrijburg

unfortently not that simple for me, I cant deploy this to user's until the process works without my involvement, at this time I have to manually chmod the script +x every time.

Updated 1.8

*- Setting/Correcting extra permissions to group when installing on domain through user panel.

*- Setting/Correcting ownership to user when installing through /hooks/alldomains.php

[EDIT]*- Security BUG in awstats.pl . A user can change the behavior of awstats through browser to see stats of other sites. Fixed this in the awstats.pl[/EDIT]

The security BUG can be forced correctly by running the alldomains.php

As for yours and others security I will not explain what the bug precisely is. It isn't a major bug, but still you don't want others to view each others stats if they had secured it ;)

Last edited:
I have added Awstats to DA.
Its all seems fine, but, it does not generate the stats !

I left it over night from yesterday, and nothing as generated...

is tehre something else to do than just install, and, add to the domain you whant stats ?

Thx,
Sky

Use the update button in the top center of the screen next to month selection or look in the first POST in this thread for the cronjob command

Back