cPanel-to-DirectAdmin conversion tool

great

Thanks worked perfectly, 2 things i've noticed don't migrate though and maybe you could look into it...

aliases, virtual aliases don't appear to migrate so had to do a manual addition of 500 odd aliases this morning :)
Webalizer stats, customer is moaning about this too.

Thanks for the great work!

Can anyone tell me how to make the tool convert over the actual mail content (i.e. past emails from inbox)? At the moment it doesn't seem to do that - a 700MB backup file (all mail) only gives a 12KB output file (consisting of the index.php and account structures).

l0rdphi1,

Just sent the skeletal file of the cpanel backup, hope you can help us check y the sent mails aren't being included?

Thanks

Meng

include

Hey l0rdphi1

Wonder if it would be possible for you to include virtual aliases and awstats log files (to go into /stats/) in the next version.

Cheers

I've updated the beta version of the tool. The bug that caused Maildir directories not to be included in the DA backup should be fixed.

That's the only addition in beta2. I'll look at some of the other requests in the future.

Cheers,

haven't been able to restore properly.

Getting these messages when logging in into squirrelmail

ERROR: Could not complete request.
Query: CREATE "INBOX.Sent"
Reason Given: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2007-08-30 12:33:02]

and

Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2007-08-30 12:33:02]

What am i doing wrong?

are you

Are you running dovecot; if not then it wont work as you require Maildir format instead of mbox.. I havent read previous posts so not sure if this was yet advised; that's all my advise though :/

I also keep getting this when i try the tool again

Extracting cPanel backup.tar: backup-8.29.2007_22-17-16_portalst/vf/gotocairns.com.au: Cannot change ownership to uid 514, gid 12: Disk quota exceeded

Its actually just a quota problem and had to do the steps in http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=39

But still cannot get sent mails migrated over.

POP3/IMAP Accounts and data... cp: cannot stat `./export/user/backup/domain.com/email/data/imap/customerservice/Maildir/courierimapsubscribed': No such file or directory

Does this have something to do with it?

Found out why I cannot see the sent items, trash and drafts folders.

Have to change .INBOX_Sent to INBOX.Sent

same with trash and the draft folders..

hope this helps

haven't been able to restore properly.

Getting these messages when logging in into squirrelmail

Query: CREATE "INBOX.Sent"

and

Query: SELECT "INBOX"

What am i doing wrong?
Was there any additional information in the server log?

POP3/IMAP Accounts and data... cp: cannot stat `./export/user/backup/domain.com/email/data/imap/customerservice/Maildir/courierimapsubscribed': No such file or directory

Does this have something to do with it?

I've updated my local copy of the tool to fix this for the next release. You can safely ignore that message; it doesn't hurt anything.

Found out why I cannot see the sent items, trash and drafts folders.

Have to change .INBOX_Sent to INBOX.Sent

same with trash and the draft folders..

hope this helps

Where was the .INBOX_Sent file located that you renamed? Can you give a full path to it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
This script works very well. Took me some time to figure out. But once it converted, I am a happy camper. Wish this was an integrated into DA control panel for ease in transfer. Never the less works great.

Why should DirectAdmin take the time to write, include, and support, a functionality that would be used by only a very small percentage of DirectAdmin users, and then only once?

Jeff

Why should DirectAdmin take the time to write, include, and support, a functionality that would be used by only a very small percentage of DirectAdmin users, and then only once?

Jeff

Of cause you have a good point, however I said "wished" not implying on required feature. However the script itself works great.

instead of a built in functionality, why not a plugin?
This could actually be an incentive for "cPanel users that want to change to a "better" alternative. :)

Jeff

Jeff,

You would be suprised how often I have to use this tool.
Since cPanel 11 came out I have seen a steady rise in the amout of people converting from cPanel to DA!

Ry

Hi Jeff,

I understand the logic of 'hey, this is not da stuff', but with that said,. try to think of this in terms of 'OsCommerce'.

There are lots of Ecommerce software out there that provide an 'easy import' process / plugins to match OsCommerce.

I have had several (not too many, but few every other month) that are have the fear of 'oh..we are on a cPanel and we don't know if this will work on your system, or we think it is going to take a long time to convert'.

Obviously these are not the most technical people and I have to preach to them that "don't worry,. I'll do the conversion"
Or as I remember from M$ installations first page of Win98:

"Sit back and Relax while Windows is installing"
(let the horror begin).

The bottom line, this has two folds:

1. it makes DA more marketable to prospective cPanel owners (I myself converted from cPanel to DA after many years (3 years is plenty)).

2. it makes it easier for us, as sysadmins to attract business and offer 'we have it built in' which sounds much better than "oh,. we have special custom scripts that we ca...." (it just gets boring to non technical).

Built-in ("oh ..so it is normal business"),. it justs sounds better (at least to me).

Just my $0.02CAN (hey it is worth more now!).

-Alon.

Alon,

And I understand your logic :D.

But I don't think it's going to be an integral part of DirectAdmin; it's really specialty stuff.

I think AndyII has the right idea :).

Jeff

another migration

Hi,

I;m doing another Cpanel to DA migration this weekend of 400 odd accounts. I wonder if the aliases bug is fixed? The last time I used this tool, some 3 months ago aliases went being migrated.

Look forward to your response.

Kindest Regards

Back