[PLUGIN] CustomBuild 2.0

When you compiled everything, the brackets in the Evo skin menu (list view) still shows the number of updates available. You need to F5 to clear it.

Hey Martynas, I'm curios if you are working on a package manger like EA4 in cPanel?
The truth is, Custombuild does his job well but it's not intuitive and remembers me on the worst times with cPanel before they switched to a Package manger.
My first todo with Custombuild was to enable mod_remoteip and there is nothing in the penal that points me to howto. So google brings me to https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=191 which tells me to add "--with-module" so i add "--with-module=mod_remoteip" and the compiler fails. Yeah I guess you see what I'm up to explain. DA has a bad documentation and it's super hard to figure our how the compiler works as new user of DA.

CloudLinux provides all the packages for EA4 why you guys not just also work with CL and make a package manger.
Just my thoughts on DirectAdmin...

I'm curios if you are working on a package manger like EA4 in cPanel?
I think I've posted it already, I wouldn't say it's all-pros solution, it has serious cons too. I don't say 'compilation' is the way to go. I just say that both ways have their flaws.

CloudLinux provides all the packages for EA4 why you guys not just also work with CL and make a package manger.
Are you sure they're going to use CloudLinux packages for Ubuntu LTS release? I also think it does not provide the following even for CentOS8: vanilla LSAPI from LiteSpeed (for OpenLiteSpeed and LiteSpeed), as CloudLinux has its own release. Patching for php-fpm not to fail starting the processes if users are over quota. OpenLiteSpeed/Nginx Unit/Nginx RPM packages. Bubblewrap. Latest version of zstd. MariaDB 10.5. Even something as simple as FastCGI isolation under user-level per-directory (requires suexec patching as well). Again - this is not to say "packaging is wrong" :)

Custombuild was to enable mod_remoteip
It's there by default, nothing needs to be done. It even includes CloudFlare IPs automatically, if you wanted to add them there. Thus 0 changes required. If you wanted to include any other IPs - you may just add them additionally to httpd-includes.conf.

DA has a bad documentation and it's super hard to figure our how the compiler works as new user of DA.
I cannot argue on this. You're (likely) a new user of DA, and you see it the best from your point. If there are suggestions for https://docs.directadmin.com - they're always welcome. If there is anything else that's complex to understand/confusing for new customers - we'd really like to improve this!

Thank you!

Reactions: jca
If there are suggestions for https://docs.directadmin.com - they're always welcome. If there is anything else that's complex to understand/confusing for new customers - we'd really like to improve this!
@smtalk, Please consider making the docs open source, for example on GitHub, so everyone can easily submit PR’s to improve the docs.

The partition table layout is broken for a while now. If i find something like this it only takes a minute or two to fix it and submit it to you guys. :)

Last edited:
docs open source
Great Idea...
Is owned by Microsoft. Linus sold it to them..:(
if i find something like this it only takes a minute or two to fix it and submit it to you guys.
Just post it all here in a forum post. OR add it on Feedback.
DA has a bad documentation and it's super hard to figure our how the compiler works as new user of DA.
So totally true and a known issue for a long time.

I’d love custom built to be built into DA in the ‘administration’ section and have the options you want to build as tick boxes and click build / rebuild with it laid out in different sections. So you can easily go where you need.

I cannot argue on this. You're (likely) a new user of DA, and you see it the best from your point. If there are suggestions for https://docs.directadmin.com - they're always welcome. If there is anything else that's complex to understand/confusing for new customers - we'd really like to improve this!

No offense here, I'm just trying to point out that CustomBuild is very hard to understand for new DA user. There is no information given on what is compiled in Apache, I need to use Command Line to see the loaded modules "apachectl -M" which also isn't pointed out anywhere in the documentation. Than you need to know the syntax of it, which is again also not documented.
The "customize compilation" gives you the option enable mods.
How should I know beside asking you which modules are standard loaded, where to put the config file for the modules etc.

A list of all modules with explanation and checkboxes would make all this way easier. It's not hard to code and small things like this would improve the DA experience by a lot!

Are you sure they're going to use CloudLinux packages for Ubuntu LTS release? I also think it does not provide the following even for CentOS8: vanilla LSAPI from LiteSpeed (for OpenLiteSpeed and LiteSpeed), as CloudLinux has its own release. Patching for php-fpm not to fail starting the processes if users are over quota. OpenLiteSpeed/Nginx Unit/Nginx RPM packages. Bubblewrap. Latest version of zstd. MariaDB 10.5. Even something as simple as FastCGI isolation under user-level per-directory (requires suexec patching as well). Again - this is not to say "packaging is wrong" :)

If you are going for a Shared hosting setup, there is no way around CloudLinux nowday's. CageFS and LVE (and CXS) are the things that are keeping my Servers alive. As a shared hosting provider you are also absolutely not interested in the newest software releases. You want to keep your clients happy and provide only software resales which got already few times patches to avoid any bugs with your clients sites. Just like the core concept of RedHat.
Yes CloudLinux is using there own LiteSpeed integration which works super well with there setup. Tho Nginx+php-fpm is the best combo, you can't provide this setup on a shared hosting as customers are in love with .htaccess file :rolleyes:

I've updated my server with a yum update and also updated my custombuild plugin via de DirectAdmin Plugin Manager. But now the link to the plugin manager is gone, and also if I visit it from via the link the page shows empty. The plugin is still installed and available in the plugin manager.
Not sure what to do now, reinstall doesn't help.

See screenshots:
1610393310800.png1610393422500.png

I've updated my server with a yum update and also updated my custombuild plugin via de DirectAdmin Plugin Manager. But now the link to the plugin manager is gone, and also if I visit it from via the link the page shows empty. The plugin is still installed and available in the plugin manager.
Not sure what to do now, reinstall doesn't help.

See screenshots:
View attachment 4047View attachment 4048
strange, I had to login via SSH and manually do a ./build update_versions; that got it fixed
(i seem to answer my own questions here lol or i'm just to quickly with asking )
thanks anyway for the nice plugin @smtalk !

i did few minute ago a fresh isntallation of directadmin..but i dont see in extra list...wat I need to do?

I've installed a new server, and can someone explain this PHP-error in the plugin?
For so far, up to now i've nothing compiled with Custombuild.

And why i do have PHP 8.0? Is this standard after an install?
DA is installed by my VPS hosting by an image.

Custombuild says i've installed PHP 7.3 and 7.4, but the Servicemonitor say's that i have PHP versions 7.4 and 8.0 ?

The servicemonitor:

What's the best thing i can do?
Recompile PHP?

First check all setting in CB-options followed by

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build versions
./build update_versions

If you still have problems and since it is a new server, perhaps it's better to

Code:
./build all